Sign in to follow this  

Rocky Mtn TT ride poll

Please select a date and place  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Please select a date and place

I thought it might be useful to have a poll to help select the date and place. Other details would be similar to last year's ride.

Keep in mind - CO 500, 30th Anniversary is Aug 21-26.

Please don't vote in the poll if you're not planning on attending.

Please do vote if you think you'll attend or are definitely attending.

That's a good way to get the ball rolling. I wouldn't mind any of these riding spots as a destination.

Hey Rick,

Terry says to tell you hello. We did some riding in Utah yesterday at White Wash. Where ever the ride ends up is good. I just voted for Taylor by default. Pardon my ignorance but what and where is Spring Creek Res. :cry:

>Pardon my ignorance but what and where is Spring Creek Res.

Spring Creek Reservoir is about 8 miles west of Taylor Park on FR748. You can get to the reservoir by driving over Cottonwood Pass, then north up FR742, turning west on FR748. It's a bit further to drive than the RMTT site we had in 2004. From Gunnison, drive north to Almont and a little further to the Spring Creek Rd on the left, driving about 14 miles up the canyon to a large open area below the reservoir.

The map on last years web page shows Spring Creek Reservoir about 6 miles due west of Taylor Park Reservoir. Mosca CG is noted, also.

RMTT04 web page

The map link is near the bottom of the page.

Spring Creek Reservoir has a USFS fee campground (Mosca CG) with 16 designated sites. The CG has a concrete toilet. Trash containers are provided. There is also potable water.

There are seven primitive camp sites in the area that I estimate could hold a total of 30-40 camping units (truck, van, camper, etc). The sites are along FR744 for a distance of about 1.5 miles in the immediate area north and south of the USFS CG. I estimate each site could hold 6-8 units each. We could squeeze more in if people parked carefully.

I had a look at some maps and old ride descriptions and came up with the following loops. These are only suggestions. All of these loops are based on a Spring Creek Reservoir camp. The advantage of camping at Spring Cr Res is that the trails are nearby, unlike Taylor Park, where you have to drive roads (sometimes many miles) to get to the trails. And, you can still get over to Taylor Park if you want; it's just 8 miles away.

Loops

-----

Deadman Loop - about 30 miles

Gunnison Spur - about 35 miles

High Country Tour - varies, 60-90 miles

Fossil Ridge Loop - about 100+ miles

Timberline Killer Loop - about 80+ miles

DualSport Grand Tour - about 100-150 miles

--------------------------------------------------------

Deadman Loop - about 30 miles, short and fun, excellent for morning or afternoon loop.

South on Spring Creek Rd 3 miles

Deadman Rd

Rosebud Gulch

Cement Mtn

Deadman Gulch Tr

Bear Cr

Flag Creek

Short road back to camp

Other trails nearby are Reno Divide Tr, Deadman 32 switchbacks, and Grassy Tr.

Gunnison Spur - about 35 miles. There are a few difficult sections.

South on Spring Creek Rd to Dr Park Rd

East on Dr Park Rd

Gunnison Spur north to road bailouts (2) or to Dinner Station area

Dirt road back to camp

High Country Tour - varies, 60-90 miles, scenic and challenging. There are some technical sections on side hills (but not like Idaho ;-), some difficult muddy sections in rainy season, and some rocky sections.

Ride part of Deadman Loop to Cement Creek Rd

Several options are available, 4 are listed:

1.Walrod, DoubleTop, Crystal Pass

2.Block&Tackle, DoubleTop, Crystal Peak

3.Block&Tackle x 2, Brush Creek Tr, Crystal Pass

4.Waterfall, DoubleTop, Block&Tackle, Brush Cr Tr, Crystal Pass

Return via several options, 4 are listed:

1.Cement Creek Rd south, Grassy Tr, Flag Creek

2.Tr north, Eyre Basin Tr, Italian Creek Rd, American Flag Tr

3.Tr north, Taylor River Rd, Dorchester Tr, Lilly Pond Tr, road to camp

4.Tr north, Taylor River Rd, Dorchester Tr, Italian Cr Rd, Star Tr, road

Fossil Ridge Loop - about 100+ miles, monkey butt. There are technical sections on sidehills and some very difficult rocky/muddy sections.

Dr Park section of Gunnison Spur

Dirt road to trailhead

Fossil Ridge Tr

Gold Creek**

Cameron Creek Tr

Dirt road to Taylor Park Trading post, gas

Dirt road to Gunnison Spur

Gunnison Spur

Dr Park Rd

Dirt road back to camp

------------------------

An alternate is to take the Fairview turnoff on Gold Creek and finish with:

Dirt road to Pitkin

Dirt road to Napoleon Pass

Napoleon Pass

Dirt road to Tincup

Dirt road to Taylor Park Trading post, gas

Gunnison Spur

Dr Park Rd

Dirt road back to camp

Timberline Killer Loop - about 80+ miles. There are many technical rocky sections.

Dirt road east and north to trailhead

Timberline Tr south to Mirror Lake/Tincup exit

Dirt road to Tincup, Taylor Park Trading Post, gas

Gunnison Spur

Dirt road back to camp

DualSport Grand Tour - about 100-150 miles. Mostly dirt roads and some very easy trail sections with dualsport emphasis. Visit Tincup, Pitkin, Taylor Park Trading Post, Almont, Crested Butte, and Aspen(?).

One more fun ride is to take trails to Cement Cr, then the hiway into Crested Butte, have lunch and watch the t-shirts, then return via Teocali Ridge, Brush Cr, and several alternate endings.

>Tell us about South Fork

Have a look:

South Fork

South Fork Loop

For the South Fork Loop, we wouldn't start at Shirley Site and go south. Instead, we'd start at South Fork and loop north then back to town. And there are several day loops south of South Fork.

It would be difficult for us to have two base camps - motel and primitive campsite. The camping is not that close to town. So we'd have to decide on one or the other. The Foothills Lodge is not that expensive, but it's a lot more than free. Other in-town facilities might be cheaper. Also, you'd have to be street legal because we have to ride a bit of highway from town to the trails.

However, there are a lot of great trails in the area. The Boothill Enduro has been held north of South Fork / Del Norte for many years.

I proposed this option so riders could see that Taylor Park is not the only place to ride in CO.

>Can I change my vote on the pole for Spring Creek Res?

I don't think you can change your vote on TT, but I'll remember your change of heart and adjust the tally manually at the conclusion of voting. Which I arbitrarily set at 60 days, thinking that would be enough time to sit on the fence and study options. Some riders have to commit vacation time, so it's probably a good idea to decide by early April. OTOH, if riders want more time, we can certainly wait longer.

Last, but not least, I am NOT organizing this shindig. I'm just getting our ducks in order before the true leader steps in and takes over. :cry:

Wow, I'm glad I decided to pop in to see what's going on. I was planning a trip to TP this summer to try to get some of my local friends and Firemen buddies up there. Same time frame too. I may just have to plan on doing it with this ride.

If anyone is interested, here's some pics of Taylor Park I took last year.

http://community.webshots.com/album/180798938Bpbxju

Thinking about this, we should have a 'First Annual RMTT Ride' for the same place and dates from the Inaugural RMTT Ride. I'd hate to relearn &/or make the same mistakes from last year's Ride doing something different. This way, we could use the info from last year to have the Ride and then, make different plans to meet up with fellow TT'rs at some of these other destinations this summer by a campfire over maps and beers. My thoughts.

Taylor sucks bad, but I guess I could give it another chance. If I could just get these two bulged discs to go back into place, I might actually be able to ride again :cry: .

Taylor sucks bad, but I guess I could give it another chance. If I could just get these two bulged discs to go back into place, I might actually be able to ride again :cry: .

All righty then. A little input would be nice. Do I hear a second to the "1st Annual Inaugural"? I don't see (or expect) Gratfuldawg to head this up again with a bad back. (God speed on the healing, BTW). If the man can't ride yet, one can't expect him to take the lead on the organization. Let the people be heard! Speak!

There's no reason, we, the Hard Core Mountaineers can't get our 'poop'-in-a-pile. We can make this easy or hard. I'd rather be twisting grip for the hard part. Remember, folks, the world is watching...

Hey Gratefuldawg, sorry to hear about your back. I hope it gets better soon. Now that I have a steering damper, I was hoping you would do Timberline again this year and I could chase you guys. Get well soon. :cry:

I think you have me confused with Ramz, he really pulled the whole thing together :cry: , I just said "let's ride together" I plan "hope" on being there, whenever and where ever there is.

Timberline is where I really worked the back, I had injured the disc's two weeks earlier up at Han's, let me remind all of you beer and very small BMX bikes DO NOT mix, and then went to the TT ride and rode timberline, and that's is all she wrote, been out since. This sucks! If anyone has any advice for fixing slipped discs, please PM me with the info. Erik a.k.a. Gratefuldawg

Here's a vote for The Unofficial 1st Annual Inaugral RMTT Ride.

I can be a caboose or trail leader or help in some small way like that.