Sign in to follow this  

question about oil change intervals

I bought my crf 250r in June and I rode it 2-3 times a week up unil mid-November,that is when the weather started getting bad. I was planning on changing the fork oil for this upcoming season, but what about the shock? How often should you change the fluid?

I do my shock once a year, forks about every 30 hours(with normal fluids).

I'm using DaveJ's 215.VM2.K5 oil which is supposed to last much longer. I can't remember exactly, but I think he said up to 250 hours.

I bought my crf 250r in June and I rode it 2-3 times a week up unil mid-November,that is when the weather started getting bad. I was planning on changing the fork oil for this upcoming season, but what about the shock? How often should you change the fluid?

Much depends on your riding. If your an expert who uses the entire suspension travel on the MX track and ride long moto's it's needed every 15-20 hrs max.

If your a casual trail rider who's bike doesn't stroke thru the travel very far then 100 hrs.

Personally, I'm a slow intermediate using all the travel on an mx track and I can tell you from experience, using standard oils, 50 hrs was tooooo much. 35 hrs is about the max I can get and still have the suspension perform decently from the start of the moto till the end.