Sign in to follow this  

Rotella Synthetic VS Regular

I stopped in Wal Mart and found a gallon of Rotella T SAE 5W-40 Synthetic for 12 bucks and a gallon of Rotella T SAE15W-40 for 6 bucks. Are both of these OK to use in the WR250? Do you have any experiences with them?? :cry:

I'm using the Synthetic Rottela, It should give you more protection.

I stopped in Wal Mart and found a gallon of Rotella T SAE 5W-40 Synthetic for 12 bucks and a gallon of Rotella T SAE15W-40 for 6 bucks. Are both of these OK to use in the WR250? Do you have any experiences with them?? :cry:

Yes, I have used both successfully in all of our motorcycles, atv's, and diesel trucks! I only use the synthetic in my YZ250F, unless I'm out, then, upon occasion, I'll use the regular. I would assume that the synthetic may offer better protection (there's lots of smart guys on here that can chime in and tell you how and why), and really isn't that expensive, although I do change my oil after every ride. But, if you are worried about friction modifiers, etc., neither of them contain them. Being stocked by Walmart makes it convenient too, since we seem to be there fortyleven times a week!

I haven't been able to find the synthetic Rotella at Wal-Mart in my area.

I have lived in certain areas where the Walmart didn't stock the synthetic, but would order it for you if you asked. Might even be able to talk to someone about them actually "stocking" it. I'm sure it's just a matter of them putting it on the order list, since most Walmarts carry the stuff. It may be different in your area, but it's worth asking if you want to use the oil. We use tons of it between our bikes and diesel trucks.

I'm going to venture that at least one advantage the synthetic would have would be better resistance to viscosity loss, since the better synthetic base stocks don't require as much chemical modification to produce the multi-vis qualities. The additives used to make a light mineral oil base bahave well at high temps are fragile, and the trans ends up beating a 10w-40 into a 8w-20 pretty fast. Many synthetics have the advantage of not needing as much of those additives, and hold up better just for that reason.

another advantage the synthetic should have is resistance to heat. the clutch should be compliant for longer durations in exteme riding than the straight dino oil would let it.

I only use the dino oil as I change it every ride day. Twice a day if its a race day. It has performed excellent for me.

I just checked and there is a label for it on the shelf, but I've never seen it in stock.

They have change the bottle design on Truck & SUV, but nothing on the labelling has changed. They have NOT pulled the "blue cap" 5w-30 from the shelves... it's there for $4.81 right next to the extended performance 5w-30. No red cap in sight, nor any other synthetic 15w-50.... the redcap 5000 is available :cry:

Now that I think of it, I haven't seen V-Twin in this particular store for a long time... they always have plenty of MX4T.