Sign in to follow this  

Lake Elsinore Vet Track

I am having a good time riding the Vet track at Elsinore. I am a new track rider and I am clearing most the hits on the Vet track but I am having issues with the 40-50 foot table top in the back after the triple whoops. I am on a CRF250R 04'. I am landing my front tire on top of the double whoop and then hit the third with the front tire skimming it as well, then I ping it, but I am short about 5-10 feet of clearing. I know the issue lies with my speed in the whoops.

What should I do?

I'd try going faster through the whoops. :cry: How big of a run at the table do you have? Is it hard to get speed due to short distance, rough terrain, turn?

The triple whoop section is right before the jump. I know I need to haul ass through the whoops, but not sure what to expect and still feel intimidated trying to go for the third whoop clearance.

As a begginer myself this section boggles me...

I have come through the 3 whoops and cleared them, twice. But was going to fast to hit the jump (in my mind) and let off a little. HUGE NOSE DIVE both times. Unfortunately that is the speed you need to hit the jump at to clear the table.

It feels like if I hit the jump at the speed it takes me to skip over the 3 whoops Ill launch into the stratosphere. Im just learning jumping and getting comfortable on a new bike though/I suck.

The guys that do it right are clearing the 3 whoops, not letting off and rolling off the face of the jump at that speed, which lets them carry enough speed to clear the table and roll over the double right before the berm. Nice and smooth and easy... I just flat cant do it yet.

I just rode there Thursday.

The speed it takes to get your front tire over the 3rd whoop is the exact speed you need to clear the table.

Just get on the gas back in the sweeper before the whoops, get your front tire over the 3rd whoop (don't worry if your back tire clips the 3rd one, the whoops are so short that even if your back tire clips, it will just force your front tire to slam down to the ground faster on the other side of it, but it won't throw you or anything). Once you have the speed to get your front tire over that 3rd whoop, just hold the gas steady at that speed all the way off the lip of the table top.

P.S. It's best to try to clear the whoops the first few times on the far left side where the 3rd whoop is worn down. The far left won't hurt you if you clip it, but on the right side there is enough of that 3rd whoop left to buck you fairly good if you do clip it.

Walk out and watch the fast guys through there. They're almost flat through the woops and when they come to the table they have so much speed that they have to do something like a reverse seat bounce. They have so much speed that they have to take off some on the face and lip of the jump. I'm sure there is some rear brake at the lip in there somewhere but Dude, thats way beyond me right now.

:)

Either way its dripping with rad sauce.

Have you ever considered that it might just be a crappy layout and not you? Just because some dork on a bulldozer makes it doesn't mean it's a fun or doable obstacle.

Have you ever considered that it might just be a crappy layout and not you? Just because some dork on a bulldozer makes it doesn't mean it's a fun or doable obstacle.

You must not be able to clear those little whoops or the tabletop after them. :)

Either practice or experience will get you over it.Once you do it,you'll relize that it wasnt that hard and then you can move on to tackle another challenging obstacle.At one point in time after you get better at riding and judging jumps and what not,you'll look back and laugh alittle about the very small things that had you frustrated in the beginning.Its a funny circle. :)

Yeah but there's good track design and not so good track design. It's subjective. What do you consider fun? We do ride for fun right? I prefer fluidity of motion and the ability to enjoy a well designed and prepared track that allows that. In my opinion there's too much of a "supercross" mentality in the way most tracks are built these days, ie. deliberately treacherous and dangerous obstacles that are there simply for difficulty's sake. Not that this particular section is dangerous, but my original point about the dork on the bulldozer stands. That said, given the lack of alternatives, once it dries out I'll be back out there tryin' to get my overweight '426 over it. :)

I had the best time on that track. The main track is my favorite, but I spent some time on the vet track on a pro bike, and THAT was a real kick!! Some guys showed up last summer with a Team ECC Suzuki RM125. They had just bought it from the team and let me ride it. It took me a couple laps to remember how to keep a tiddler on the pipe, but once I did, it was screaming linke a banshee and I was having a blast. The suspension stiff enough to go as fast as I wanterd and the clutch pull was an easy, 1-finger affair. It was fun enough to make me consider buying one as an addition to my stable. Sounds like they've changed the layout of that track since I was there, so I can't be of much help. I just had to share my positive experience there, though. I couldn't thank those guys enough for letting me ride it so long. A good day, for sure.

Ha!! Now that my forks are set up right I'm hit'n it with the best of 'em. Amazing what a couple ounces of oil and some spring preload will do for ya. But still, a couple of those "tabletops" are just a little too long, at least for my 200 lb. ass. But a great afternoon at the track... :)

Yeah but there's good track design and not so good track design. It's subjective.... In my opinion there's too much of a "supercross" mentality in the way most tracks are built these days....

I'll agree with that statement... seems to me that everywhere I go lately the goal on the outdoor tracks is to see how many doubles and triples can be worked in to the course. Whatever happened to MOTOcross?? Is it just me, or has SUPERcross become synonymous with MOTOcross? :)

Not implying supercross is no good... but I personally prefer a good 'ol outdoor motocross layout for a hard afternoon's ride. :)

Hows the condition of the vet track?Was it crowded?Limited parking?

Rough,Dry, yes, yes.

The layout is in the eye of the beholder, at my local track there are some obstacles that are just too treacherous for me. After a full day of riding, as I loaded up my bike to go home I heard the sounds of a thumper ripping around the track behind me, lo and behold, there was this 12 year old kid about 105lbs riding a rm250f full speed hitting eveything perfectly timed and smooth as silk. Crap it's going to take me a year to build enough confidence to jump, this kid was hitting by his second lap there!! As with everything it's all individual.

Weight certainly has a lot to do with it. So does not having to go to work the next day...or having learned what pain is!! :)

Yeah this is all true, but the kid still had skill. Youth is fearless, fear is real, even if it is imagined (wow that's deep!). One man's fear factor is another mans walk in the park, LOL.