Sign in to follow this  

YZ250 > YZF250?

I need some advice. I just started MX last year in the 250 C Class. I have a 99 YZ250. Thinking about upgrading this winter. Anyone think I'm going to be disappointed in a 2003 YZF250? Should I stick with the 450F? Thanks everyone! oh, I'm 6'1 around 180.

thanks!

Charles

if you are in the 250 class then you need to go with the 450f, that is if you care about winning. The 250f is a 125 class which would compete with the yz125 and the yz450f is a 250 class which competes with your bike the yz250.

You will drop down classes, but indoor you will be better with the smaller 250F bike.

What/Why do you think you need to downsize?

I had a 426 and it was just to much bike to hang on to. I was not riding holding on with my knees as much as I should have and that prematurely tired me out. The 250 2 stroke is a bit easier since you have time to grip the bike before the hit. I went down to the 2005 YZ250F bike and love it! Handles better, the suspension on the 05s is great, and there is plenty of power there for indoor. I am sure I will miss the power of the 426 on the HP hill at Washougal, but I am more competitive on this 250F than I was on the 426.

if you want to drop down a class to 125 c then go with the 250f. but if you want to stay in the big bike class get the 450f, your a pretty big dude at 6'1 and 180 so you should definitely be able to handle it.

Thanks you guys for your opinions. I started on the big bikes because I was 220 at the time, but now I'm down to 180. I was thinking since I'm just starting out, it would be wiser and safer to learn in the 125 class if the newer bikes could handle my size?? I can handle the 250 2 stroke, but I gotta tell ya there's more power there than I'll ever use. oh, no indoor yet, can't hit the triples yet.

Charles

The 250F is fantastic bike, and it may be just what you're looking for if you're just starting out. My son's diding improved a year's worth in the first 2 month he was on his. All of my big bore buddies that try our 250F come back with a huge grin on their face, and the first sentence out of their mouth always contains the word "fun". Try one if you can, then decide.

I agree I think the 250F is a good choice for more people than want to admit it. I will say this. The 450's are nice bikes but you can learn alot of bad habits riding them. They make you lazy, less agressive and they don't turn as well but your lazy and less agressive so you don't care.

I love riding 250F's. They are great bikes. I had an 04 and sold it.

But don't listen to me I bought 2 new 2-strokes.

the 250f's are great bikes if ur definatley sure u wanna drop down to the 125 class go with the yz250f its by far the most reliable and powerful