Sign in to follow this  

My First Valve Check!

:applause:It really was quite easy. Here were my findings: LE .010 / RE .008 , LI .007 / RI .005 So do I need to change shims? If so do I aim for the loosest tolerance? Thanks. :cry:

Did you check shim size while you were there? To me they are all on the tight side although in "spec".

I recently had;

intake left = .005" / .127mm

intake right = .005" / .127mm

exh. left = .011" / .279mm

exh. right = .009" / .229mm

I'm re-shimming both intakes to 2.75mm shims and the right exhaust to 3.10mm shim. You really need to know your existing shim size to calculate what's needs. To gain valve clearance you need to reduce shim size. Bronco78 helped me with this. Good luck! :cry:

Actually in looking your right exhaust clearance is right at border-line for being too tight! You may wanna re-shim before you ride much more. Good luck... :cry:

OK I just checked shims.

LE 318 RE 330

LI 285 RI 282

They are all "in spec". But the RE is just barely. Should I just change the RE and buy how much? Thanks.

When changing shims it is best to go for the loose side of the tolerance but I would not make any adjustments just because the valves are near the tight side. You do not really have a problem until they are well out of tolerance. You may find that the valves will not require any adjustment for many more thousands of miles even though 1 or 2 are near the end of the tolerance zone. I just checked the vales in my street bike (16 valves). Don't need adjustment and have never been adjusted in 40,000 miles.

Don't worry about. Ride it. Keep track of the clearances and make adjustments when it is clearly needed.

I had an exhaust around the .21mm range at 8,000 miles, 1000 miles later it was at .19mm

I do agree you got time though, and a little more clearance than I had.

If your lucky they'll seat where they are at and not move any more.

I haven't had any more movement since around that 10 to 12k mile area.