Sign in to follow this  

crf250r oil reserve???

Hey, i was curious if the crf250 has a smaller oil reserve than the yz250f. i have heard that the yz250f holds more oil on reserve than the honda, therefore it stays a bit cooler than the crf -is this true?

thanks,

Ben #256

Hey, i was curious if the crf250 has a smaller oil reserve than the yz250f. i have heard that the yz250f holds more oil on reserve than the honda, therefore it stays a bit cooler than the crf -is this true?

thanks,

Ben #256

The reason the YZF has more oil is that, like XR's, the YZF's have one oil supply for both engine and tranny. The CRF's have separate engine and tranny oil. The upside to the YZF is:

- You have more total oil for the engine and tranny.

- The oil will possibly run cooler.

- You have a larger total "reserve" incase of slow oil loss.

- One oil change procedure.

The upside of the CRF is:

- The engine and tranny each get the best lubricant for the job, not the best "compromise".

- Tranny shrapnel doesn't get circulated through the engine and vice versa.

I have heard that the on really long rides the oil will start to run low on our crf's. Is there like an aftermarket oil tank/reserve available that will cure this problem?

I have heard that the on really long rides the oil will start to run low on our crf's. Is there like an aftermarket oil tank/reserve available that will cure this problem?

I have 380 miles on my '05 X and have changed the oil 3 times. I have yet to detect any oil loss at all, and I've been observing carefully. I broke it in according to "break it in hard" theory.

i tihnk i might have put in just a little bit too much oil in, its not supposed to be in between the top line and where it starts to get circly is it?. lol let me explain O==========I===000000(circly part) the oil is at where there are the 3 equal signs.

i tihnk i might have put in just a little bit too much oil in, its not supposed to be in between the top line and where it starts to get circly is it?. lol let me explain O==========I===000000(circly part) the oil is at where there are the 3 equal signs.

A JPG would go a long way here...

Here's one. Your oil level when checking according to the manual should be between the lines marked (2) and (3) in the image.

To check the level:

Support the bike upright on a level surface.

Crank and run the engine for 3 minutes.

Turn off engine and let sit for 3 minutes.

Remove dipstick and clean it off.

Insert dipstick without screwing it in.

Remove dipstick and check the oil level on the stick.

If the oil level is near line (2), good.

If the oil level is near line (3), add oil until it's near line (2).

lol i know I know how to check my oil. But i was just wondering if a little bit over line 2 would be like wrong pressure or whatever?

lol i know I know how to check my oil. But i was just wondering if a little bit over line 2 would be like wrong pressure or whatever?

Just making sure. Depends on how much you mean by "a little". 1/2" over is probably too much. 1/8" over is probably not an issue.