Sign in to follow this  

Sacramento DRZ valve party a Big Sucess!

Thank you all for coming out. We had about 6-7 bikes and 8-9 owners. lots of expert advice. My DRZ with 5000 miles was all in spec. One exhaust valve clearance was 0.21mm, just one hundreth above the spec range at the lower end of the .2-.3 range. So I re-shimed that valve only.

DRZ - The R stands for Reliability. Got my MCCT installed too finally. :cry::cry:

what is so cool is everyon'es bike looks different, we all have our DRZs modified to suit each of us......Very cool this swiss army bike. I enjoyed the work too this time...lots of fun to be hands on in there on the top end. :cry:

It was great to meet everyone! Thanks for all the great info. I can't wait to do some riding with you guys!

paul

:cry::cry: Went rather well I thought and thanks to Bob bringin his shim kit I didn't have to face a dealer rippin me off @ $5 a shim either. :cry:

I think there were 3 MCCT installs and everyone did valves. :cry:

Edit : Oh yes I forgot. Cookies too! :devil: What Hospitality. :cry: Thanks Paul, and thanks to your wife too.... :devil:

I didnt see any cameras around. Prolly best. They just would have shattered or the resulting pictures would have been a field day for America's Most Wanted. :cry:

Good day though. It was nice just to be outside (outstanding weather).

One intake valve (the right side next to the exhaust pipe) on my 2000 E was at the lower range of spec, so while it was apart, and the parts/tool/knowledge was there I figured it was time to just do it and take it to the other end of the spec (so as it wore in over time it would end up dead center). Easy job, lots of help.

I'll be installing a MCCT next (and doing it soon).

There was even an "afterparty" at Roseville Cycle as several of us stopped in to buy parts, oggle new bikes, and talk trash on everyone (not really :cry:). So, a couple of oil filters, oil, new chain, fox riding jersey, MotoGP 2004 DVD, ya know all the "essential" things for your DRZ :cry: , I was out the door.

Even had time to take the DRZ for a longer trip than just around the block. Dogs ran, old ladies clutched their hearts and parents shielded the eyes of impressionable youngsters as I rode around town. It was great.

Now its an oil change and a new chain away from being all set for some serious fun.

Thanks again to all involved. Had a blast, had a good beer, and a few good cookies too.

Soooo jealous - I wish I could afford the 1000 mile round trip....

Its cool to hear about people working together.. I'm really impressed...

Hopefully, some So-Cal people will read this and get inspired to have a "Maintenence Party" too!!!

Peace....

Well what about it? Who was the king(queen) of the plumbers but?? come on now you brought it up before the meet so lets see some pics, OH no what did I just ask. I take it back. Mike in Modesto

Strange, it's usually a intake that has tightened up. I'm glad the guys showed up and helped but not surprised the nicest folks I've met are through TT. prairiedawg :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Nate the Great you were there????? which one was you? I didn't think you showed. I kept asking everyone their TT names, but everybuddy was all low key oh I'm so and so........

I think I may go back to bigbob no one knows who I am.........maybe when the husky arrives.......the wolf will remove the sheep's clothing.

Hey all, thanks again for the great get-together and the experience supplied. My specs were within norms but now I'm confident in the process. I was there with my son Mike and he even learned a little. :cry:

I overheard the suggestion for the next get-together topic to be suspension. Would this be addressing rear shock/spring "sag"? If so I'd like to find out more.

I'm out tomorrow with Mike (forum_33) and his buddies riding Canyon Creek out of Georgetown. Lots o' mud I presume! :cry:

yeah I figure by next year I'll be ready for a Suspension class.....re-do forks change oil...set sag or just un bolt alot of stuff, grease it, put it back together...maybe the main steering bearing grease or replace bit too.........

I'm only up for this once in a blue moon, but maybe later this summer would be good......otherwise feel free to start up your own DRZ party post.......there are Lots of DRZ owners on TT in NorCal. I bet you could get a crew together everytime you try.

Nate the Great you were there????? which one was you? I didn't think you showed. I kept asking everyone their TT names, but everybuddy was all low key oh I'm so and so........
Hahaha ya sorry I pretty much introduced myself to everyone but I guess I missed a few.... I think you were tearin into things when I showed up....

I was the youngest guy there I think.... green sweater KLX400R. Robbing your kit of shims for everyone else..... :cry: Thanks. :cry:

Hi Guys, Well I agree it was another excellent meeting of DRZ owners (and a couple of perspective owners just checking it out). I took a few pictures. i will post them when i get to the office on Monday. It was an amazing bunch of guys sharing tools and parts and beer and home made cookies (my wife questioned why some cookies were left though). The neighbors were wondering what the heck was going on with trucks and trailers lining the street. It was great to meet so many new faces and get reacquainted with some of the familiar ones. Jay and I learned a valueable lesson too ... do NOT used an impact on the hex head plug in the left hand case (Suzuki calls in a generator plug). Popped the center right out of the plug. :cry::cry: But nothing that $9 won't fix. For some reason our were both locked on solid and everyones else's came off easy. Should have used an air impact rather than a hammer impact i9 guess. All in all a very fun group of guys to spend a few hours wrenching with.

I look forward to the next DRZ party. I guess we can call it DRZ III

Thanks again for hosting this Paul. It was great to meet everyone and get some wrenching in. Count me in for DRZ III.

I can't wait for our plugs to come in so I can get my bike up and running again. I actually lost a little sleep last night thinking about little pieces of metal floating around my engine.

Please let your wife know that the cookies were great too. I'd have eaten more, but I usually wait until the second meeting to show how much of a pig I really am :cry:

Yes, thanks a ton Paul for hosting! Hopefully all the beer I brought got consumed - nothing better than beer and chocolate chip cookies! Well, maybe a couple things... :cry:

Nate-thanks a ton for helping adjust my MCCT! :cry::cry:

Mike-thanks a ton for all your advice and help! :cry::cry:

I went out yesterday and ripped it up! The bike ran great!

Here's the route: Rode 76 miles dual sport style from Applegate -> Colfax -> Sugar Pine (via Iowa Hill) -> Weimar (via Foresthill/Ponderosa Way) -> Applegate.

Sugar Pine still had a lot of snow on the trails, and not the fun kind of snow. Slushy crap under a top layer of icy crust - not a whole lot of fun to fall in either. :devil: A litte too much pavement as well, but would have been cool if there was less snow on the trails (the whole reason we went).