Sign in to follow this  

How many short people are riding the '05WR250?

I've really got my sights set on this bike, moving up from a KX100 but for the love of God, no dealers around here have one built up so I can even sit on one! They're going like hotcakes!

I'm just wondering if any of you have noticed a, ummm, "noticeable" :cry: difference in the height between the '04 and '05. I sat on an '04 and could tippy toe (couldn't even do that on an '05 CRF250X - maybe the suspension was too stiff?) so I'm really curious as to how much easier it'll be to get my feet on the ground with the WR250.

Anyway, I'm wondering how much the suspension will settle and with a 30" inseam, should I just leave the bike as it is (sheesh, if I ever get to see one and buy) or should I seriously consider lowering the suspension?

I plan on riding mostly trails and some track; maybe a 70/30 mix. Thanks!! :cry:

well hondas are about 2 inches shorter than the yammies. if you find any yz or wr with the exception of the yz85... they are all the same size within 1/10 of an inch. so if you can sit on say a yz125, then you can sit on a wr250f :cry:

Well, based on the numbers paper it looks that way but don't forget that Yamaha measures their seat height a little differently than the rest of the manufacturers (I don't know how do they their measurements, though). I do know that I couldn't even get on my toes on the CRF though and I could on the '04WR and '05 YZ. :cry: So, if the WR is going to fit like the YZ, then at least I have a clearer idea. That seat sucks!! :cry:

Can't speak for the 05, but I have a 03 and also have a 30" inseam (or maybe 29...) Raised the forks, set the sag (140lb) and that's it. It's still a little tall, but manageable. Course the bike weighs 30lbs less than my previous bike so... :cry:

You should be fine, but remember this bike weighs considerably more than your KX100!

Ha, well, believe it or not, I actually weigh quite a bit more than the KX100 :cry: But yeah, I've been doing my homework, sitting on bikes, pushing/moving them (yeah, I know its nothing like picking one up) and the only bike that really intimidated me was the XR250. Boy, people aren't kidding when they say its a pig.

I have an 03 wr and a 29 inch inseam and I do ok with it. the 05 is lower so you should be ok

I had an '03 WR and now have a '05 WR. The seat height on the '05 is much lower. It feels much more than 10mm. On the '03 I could touch my toes and on the '05 I can flat foot the bike. I have a 30" inseam. :cry:

I had an '03 WR and now have a '05 WR. The seat height on the '05 is much lower. It feels much more than 10mm. On the '03 I could touch my toes and on the '05 I can flat foot the bike. I have a 30" inseam. :cry:

No kidding! That's sweet!? :cry:

1st ride on the bike and now we have huge snow again. I set the sag at 97mm to start with. After riding the bike for 1/2 an hour I jacked up the back end some more to make it turn better and it did. I could still touch the ground flat footed so I'm very happy with that. I was going to get the suspension lowered on this bike but I have to ride it a bit more because I may not need to. :cry:

i think yamaha added a new foam on the 05 seats to make them more comfy.

:cry:

Really? I can't imagine the older ones being any worse. Seriously... I may as well be riding on the fender. :cry:

To answer the original post, I'm 6'3" and can flat-foot both sides without putting enough weight on the seat to compress the suspension.

Putting my 185lbs on the seat, my knees are comfortably bent, but not much.

That's good advice- 5'8" might be short ? :cry: but I'm 5'4" so I'm even shorter. Well, then again, what's you inseam? I have a 29" inseam so maybe our legs are the same length and that would make a big difference on whether or not I could touch the ground after the suspension settles.

If I go with this bike, then that sounds like the best thing to do- just ride it for a bit and decide whether or not I'll really need to lower it.

That's good advice- 5'8" might be short ? :cry: but I'm 5'4" so I'm even shorter. Well, then again, what's you inseam? I have a 29" inseam so maybe our legs are the same length and that would make a big difference on whether or not I could touch the ground after the suspension settles.

If I go with this bike, then that sounds like the best thing to do- just ride it for a bit and decide whether or not I'll really need to lower it.

I have the 02 WR 250 and I am 5'6". I can tippy toe on the ground depending on where the bike is, but most of the time I sit off to the side of the bike. The only problem I had is when I first got the bike was starting it and stopping but I am getting use to the bike. You don't have to worry about starting the bike with the 05. Since you have years riding dirt bikes you really shouldn't have any problems.

I have no idea what my inseem is, but I'm 5'8" and have an 05 WR. I was concerned with seat height like you, but after having ridden it for a couple of months have decided I like it better and don't even notice it. You just learn how to climb off when you stop by sliding off the seat enough to reach the ground. On flat ground, I can sit on it and reach pretty well, but where you have to watch is when you are NOT on flat ground! I think you'll be all right. Good luck with your search.

I'm 5'5. Beggining of 04 I sat on a wr and dont even think I could touch. The 05 came out and I can tipy toe it real good. Also I was coming off a TTR250 which even though the height is lower, it was alot higher since the seat is wider. That was hard