Sign in to follow this  

? for the guys who went from the 450 to the 250

i got a chance to ride an 04 250f today in the parking area the guy offered to let me take it on the track but seeing how i didn't even know the guy i just did the parking area test ride, i am currently on a 450 and the 250 just doesn't seem powerful enough, but i know the 450 is to much bike, i go 200 without gear will i get used to the 250f after a couple of weeks and not having just got off the 450,

thanks for any input

I'm 180 and am MUCH faster on the 250.

I had the 450 for 2 yrs, but after 2 months on the 250

I now pass all the other ol farts on 450's. :cry::cry::cry:

I went with a 52T rear......and that helped a lot.

Most of us cannot use a 450 to its fullest potential. I love the power of the big bores. It's addicting. But I find I can go just as good or better on a smaller bike. I have rode a friends yzf250 at red Bud and had just as much fun on that as the big bikes. There isn't much us average joes can't do on a 250 4-stroke. I went from a YZ400 to a CRF250X and I love it. While its not a MX bike it is still a ton of fun. dont regret it for a minute.

I still have my 400 EXC, which it still a great bike; however the 250R power/weight and handling has been great in the woods for me. Even the 400 EXC has a smooth powerband compared to the CRF450 and sometimes it is a bit much. Very happy with the R.

If you race and are lower than a intermediate the 250 will probably make you faster. If you dont race who cares how fast you trail ride. Its just for funsies so pull over and rest when you get tired.

I am about 190 without gear.

I am way faster on the 250. WAY faster. I never noticed how much power the 450 had. I rode a buddies 450 after i had my 250 for about 3 weeks, my hands hurt after about 4 laps from hanging on for dear life !!!! :cry:

I am 200 without gear and the 250 get me around fine.I had a 450 and i am faster on the 250 and spank alot of 450's.

I'm about 135 lbs and i had an '03 crf450 for a year and a half, and i absolutley loved it. the power makes it a blast to ride, especially on SX style tracks cuz u can just blip the throttle and clear any jump without any effort. after one of my friends got a 250R and let me ride it i realized i could use all of the power nearly all the time unlike the 450 which can be a handfull at times in tight trails. what im getting at though is the 250 is great, theres nothing that i can't do on it that i couldn't do on the 450 now it just takes a little effort. i don't regret getting the 250 at all, considering i haven't had any valve problems

Just sold my 03 crf450 and got an 05 crf250...rode yesterday and i am a lot faster on the 250...seriously...and i'm 220 lbs right now...

it's plenty powerful in stock form, but i will be getting an exhaust system for it for sure in the near future....my buddy has a pc system on his and it is noticeably stronger down low through the mid...

Hi there,

I ride expert class.

The 450 was tiring to ride fast where the 250 is just pure fun!

I can ride the 250 hard all day, where with the 450 I could do maybe one race at full pace then had to back it down for the rest of the day just to hang on.

I know I will never be the number 1 rider in New Zealand, so ride to have fun. The 250 is MORE fun for me.

Cheers,

Mike.

great responses, I am tossing around all these issues for my first R. thanks

What exactly makes you faster on the 250 -vs- the 450? I had an '01 yzf 250 and I felt like I was working harder to keep up with the bigger bores. Of course, this is in Utah where the tacks tend to be sandy and wider. Also, how is the 250 at the dunes?

I ask because I am currently looking for a 450 but there are a couple of 04 250s around in the same price range.

mx

I had a tricked out WR 400 with every mod ever listed on TT. I even had head work with a 13-1 Piston. I never raced but did very aggressive trail ridding in the east with steep hill climbs thrown in. Being new to dirt ridding, this being my first dirt bike I must have crashed over 75 times. I was good at starting it but many times I just had to lay down in the woods and rest. A year ago I broke in 3 places riding the bike. Now I have the steel rod. I broke my right leg so I wanted electric and after fighting the WR for 3 years I went for the 250X after reading the glorious things the mags had to say.

Man, what a difference! I can ride this thing all day long, the flick ability of the bike is amazing, the handling awesome for a woods rider and it is just fun, fun, fun. I am 200lbs and I sure bought the right bike. I have done a lot of the mods and will probably go to the 270 kit just because I don’t know any better.

I bought a 04 250X for my wife :). I have a KTM 450 EXC and love it!. But after riding the 250, Looks like the wife is looking for a new bike!. I like riding the tight trails and the occasional enduro and for that I don't think it could be any better. I'm still going to keep my 450 for dual sport rides, ex-specially since it has a CA plate :) .

Which bike is better depends on what you want to do with it. I have found that the 450's work better on wide open courses/fire roads and tire you less -- the heavier bike's momentum and power work for you. However, in tighter trail or track situations that power and momentum will tend to work against you - once you start to tire, and lose a little bit of reflex speed and throttle control, the big bikes poop you out much more quickly. Sometimes the 250 can get a little boring and the big bore can wake you up out of any kind of mood swing.

Save your rubles, take a vow of celibacy, and get both. :)