Low rev limiter

Is there a way to lower the rev limiter on the yz250f's? I am going to be building my bike for low-mid power and will be short shifting. So ownt need all those revs. I would like to lower it about 500 rpm's or so. SO if i miss a shift or in the air have to crack it wide open I would rather not have to worry as much.

Originally, all motorcycles were equipped with a rev limiter. That is, the engine only went so fast, no matter what. As engines improved, two new ones came out. The first of these cut in at the point where the loads imposed by the rpm exceeded the capabilities of the engine design. The disadvantage of this type is that when the engine reached the rev limit, it stopped running, and required an extensive amount of work to "reset". So that type was followed by the design known as the "operator override", or "smart rider" system. With this one, the rider listens to the engine, estimates the rpm relative to a preconceived limit, and takes appropriate action to avoid over revving. The system, while somewhat error prone, proved to be very effective when properly coupled with a gluteal feedback module, and was the most successful method in use for some 70 years.

I believe you will find the "smart rider" system can be used to lower your shift point for your lower target rpm very well, and it has the ability to analyze and adapt in real time to changing situations that most modern electronic systems simply don't have. You should give it a try. ?

Seriously, the rev limit is hardwired into the ignition, and you can't lower it, at least not with the stocker. Yamaha would not have set it at 13,500 if that were an unsafe speed to run the engine. But you can use your ability to feel the pull of the engine to determine when to change gears, and that's better than running into the rev limiter, anyway.