Sign in to follow this  

Front Brake Rotor Play

I bought a new (leftover) '02 WR250F in november. After doing almost all the free mods (Throttle stop, grey wire, airbox), GYTR exaust baffle, and JD jetting kit, this thing is awesome. Thanks for all the info and the thumper FAQ.

I was playing around on it this afternoon and noticed a very small amount of play in the front brake rotor. The rotor has two rings, the inner bolts to the wheel and the outer runs through the brake caliper. These two rings are connected by round brackets approximately the size of quarters. When I grab the front brake and gently rock bike back and forth the brake grabs the outer ring and the wheel moves maybe 1/32", the motion is between the two rings of the rotor. I read through the manual and couldn't find any information on this. I never noticed the play before today, but I can't be sure it wasn't always there and I just didn't see it.

Is there supposed to be play in the rotor or must it be replaced? Has anybody ever experienced this?

thanks

Letting it float like that allows it to expand with heat without warping. If you check it when it's hot, you'll likely find the rotor has tightened up. Just wear gloves if you do. :cry:

mine moves a lot more than 1/32". It got really noticeable after riding a local track with mucho braking involved. This slack hasn't affected performance so far as I can tell.