Sign in to follow this  

To Lube..or "NOT" to Lube......

Do "YOU" lube your chain every ride?  

395 members have voted

1. 1. Do "YOU" lube your chain every ride?

• No, it's an "O" ring
    • Yes, it's an "O" ring
    • No, it's a regular linkage.
    • Yes, it's a regular linkage.

I think your probably talking about a chain?

But I dont think your supposed to lube an o ring chain.

But I think alittle WD-40 wouldnt hurt after a wash. :cry:

i wouldn't recomend using wd 40 on an o-ring chain.. when i first started playing paintball i used that as my lube, and it ate away all the orings in the gun. theres no point in oiling an oring chain. you cant get any in and it cant come out. you should keep it clean with a brush or something, but since i just buy the cheapest chain possible i dont worry about it too much :cry:

Most riders use only WD-40 for a lube. I use it to displace water after powerwashing and follow up with a chain wax type lube.

WD-40 Works when in a bind. It is mostly water and solevents though and the one dude is right, it will eat the O rings over time. I believe that you still want to keep the chain lubed. I usually use the spray stuff that smells like crayons. I know it's funky stuff but I put it on while the chain is hot, let it sit til it's cool and it stays on pretty well and keeps the chain a lot more quiet. Keeps the rust down too if you're in water and mud.

What lube do you use for your "O" ringer etc..? (chain)

i use WD-40 AFTER every ride, mostly to prevent rust. also, i spray the rest of my bike with it too

It is mostly water and solevents though and the one dude is right, it will eat the O rings over time.

this statement is what scientist call "b_llshit"

i use WD-40 AFTER every ride, mostly to prevent rust. also, i spray the rest of my bike with it too
Same here. :cry: I pressure wash my chain clean then soak good with WD40. Before each ride I hit it with a light coat of WD40 then a good chain lube (currently Maxima but I'm convinced any good lube works the same).

WD40 (water displacer #40) after a wet ride or washing bike then Dumond Tech. Dumond dries to a plastic like finish so dirt won't stick to it.

After washing a spray of WD40 followed by a wipe with a rag to remove any dirt not washed off. No complaints about chain wear.

After washing a spray of WD40 followed by a wipe with a rag to remove any dirt not washed off. No complaints about chain wear.

"DITTO" :cry:

I use a wax lube,After I wash the bike...

I don't wash the bike after every ride though :cry:

A wax lube right after washing will trap water which will promote rust and wear, use WD40 after you wash it to displace water then lube it before you ride be it later that day or later that month. Also use WD on your pivot points such as the shifter and foot peg springs right after a wash. MIKE

You ARE supposed to lube an Oring chain.

There are friction points that are not protected. The roller/bushing area, and the roller/tooth working face. These points need lube every bit as much as the pin/bushing area.

Also, your rings need to be lubed to keep them supple. A ring that is not lubricated will eventually dry out. Once the ring drys out, it will actually rob lubricant from the area where there is grease pre-installed at the factory (between the rings).

Many top-shelf ring chains are now using higher quality rings that are fairly impervious to solvents such as WD-40. If you use lower cost, generic type ring chains, you can pretty much bet that they are using a buna ring that will definately come under attack when using WD-40. Also, WD-40 has about as much lubricity as camel spit. It is a water dispersing product, not a chain lube.

Never use wax, or any sort of gooey lube, or any sort of lube that recommends you warm the chain up first on a ring chain. Sand and grit are the worst enemies of ring chains and using the wrong lube will help to kill them.

I'm just coming over to thumpers from sportbikes, which always (in my experience) have O- or X-ring chains. The most common practice in those circles - and the practice that I follow - is to clean and lube every 600 miles or if the chain gets wet or dirty. The most common cleaning practice seems to be wiping down a still warm chain with a WD-40 or gasoline or kerosene soaked rag, followed by chain wax or Honda HP Chain Lube. I never owned a Honda until I got my BRP in Dec., but have always used the Honda lube because it doesn't fling off and create a mess the way wax does. The reason for lubing these chains is to maintain the integrity of the rings, which seal the internal bearings which are lubed at the time the chain is built.

The chain fails when the rings no longer create a good seal, allowing contamination and breakdown of the bearing lube, leading to bearing failure.

I like to do it when the chain is warm because the "gunk" seems to be softer and wipes off more easily.

My $.02 based on what I've been told over the years.

I have an O ring chain and spray WD40 on it after each ride, especially if it's wet out because then all of the water gets pushed out of the chain by the WD. It seems to work pretty good.

WD40 eating O rings is a complete crock of shi%. MC magazines for years now have recommended using WD40 to clean chains. What do you really think is more corrosive Diesel fuel (highly recommended for cleaning o-rings) or WD-40. Probably the diesel.

I use WD40 after washing my bike and 4 wheeler. A clean chain is more important than a gunked up lubed chain IMO.

241972606zcSAGg_ph.jpg

I can't think of any lube that can survive that kind of abuse and still lubricate properly. At least with WD40 it comes clean easier, no mud or grit sticks to it. I use WD40 on my street bikes too, my bike has 9k on the factory cheap chain and I have had to adjust it twice. :cry:

YMMV