Sign in to follow this  

New rider here just looking for some input!!

I just got a '02 TT-R 125L and have only ridden it two days. The first, I crashed, but proceded to get back on, and on the second day, I was doing pretty good (at least i thought) I was turning without stopping half way through, and using my leg properly. I am just curious as approximately how long it will take me to get used to the throttle, clutch and rear brake, and also to be able to ride at a decent speed. Right now i am just practicing in a field with a few trees, how long usually before I would be ready for a trail?

Thanks!

If it's available to you...TAKE THE MSF BEGINNER'S COURSE.

It's well worth the money, regardless of the cost.

My 15 year old daughter took it...and I bought her a bike....she had never rode anything but a bicycle up to that point.

Everybody develops their skills at different rates. Practice, practice, practice will make all the difference. IF you can take a class or get a private lesson from a skilled rider that can really help. Understanding the fundamentals to riding and practicing the proper way to do things will help you excel. I have been riding a little over 3 years, and I am still working on things and trying different techiques that other skilled riders have shown me. Just have fun practicing.

I agree...practice, practice, practice...study riding techniques, take courses and read books & magazines, you WILL get better. I went out on some flat trails my first time ("C" Cource) and then ended up on some "A" Course trails by the end of the day. I was doing great keeping up with everyone but ended up (stupidly) grabbing too much front brake on the only downhill section (only a 10' drop) which sent me slamming into the ground before I could say OWWW! Ended up fracturing my arm and munching my rotator cuff and rode for another two hours that day. Moral of story - push yourself to learn new things but don't push yourself past your limits or past the point of tiredness. Don't try to keep up to the crowd, just worry about keeping up with yourself. My boyfriend always says "If you didn't fall at least once today you didn't try hard enough". Sounds like you are putting in a good effort, keep up the good work! Most importantly, always make sure you are having fun, if you are getting frustrated with yourself ask for help or try new techniques to make it fun!

ALoha Kel, Welcome to TT. I'm originally form NC! Don't forget that riding in a field is FUN. I know what it's like to want to head for bigger and better things...but enjoy the terrain no matter what it is. Just keep practicing. There's a fine line between pushing yourself to improve and overdoing it too fast.

how long usually before I would be ready for a trail?

Thanks!

Depends on what kind of trail you're talking about... you're ready NOW to get on fireroads and real mellow stuff, do you have someone to ride with who is patient, can help you through anything unexpected, and knows the area real well? If so, then go for it, the sensation of 'getting somewhere' and exploring on a trail ride is awesome!

Welcome to TT, and to the wonderful world of 2 wheels! :cry:

Learning in a big open area is great! You don't have to worry about trees, roots, rocks, other riders, while you are still getting used to everything. I would hang out in the field until you feel completely comfortable with the throttle, clutch and brakes. That way, when you go to the trails, you'll be fairly comfortable with those, and can worry about the environment! Good luck and have fun!! :cry:

I just got a '02 TT-R 125L and have only ridden it two days. The first, I crashed, but proceded to get back on, and on the second day, I was doing pretty good (at least i thought) I was turning without stopping half way through, and using my leg properly. I am just curious as approximately how long it will take me to get used to the throttle, clutch and rear brake, and also to be able to ride at a decent speed. Right now i am just practicing in a field with a few trees, how long usually before I would be ready for a trail?

Thanks!

Kel, there is nothing like practice! If you are brave enough, the best practice is on what you aspire to ride on ie; open fields, trails, climbing, mud etc. I geuss what I am trying to say is find someone experienced to ride with and put yourself right in the heart of the reason why you are starting to ride in the first place.

Everyones learning curve is different, I think with dirt bikes its pretty much all about determination!

Give 'er!

Tommy :cry::cry:

Like it has been said before, practice, practice, practice. When I learned to ride my husband took me out on some forest service roads and on some really easy trails. I crashed alot but kept getting back up that bike. You will notice everytime you ride you get better and better. Even today I feel like every ride I do I improve a little bit.

One last thing, get a chest protector, boots, and elbow guards if you can, crashes hurt alot less with the right equipment and it makes it easier to get back on the bike after a spill.

Welcome to riding and enjoy! :cry::cry::cry:

Hi Kel!!

Fellow NCer here...what part do you live in?

Just wanted to let you know that I am right there with you...I just started riding myself and am also learning in a big field to boot. I know how it is...that just gets old and you want to move on to bigger and better things. I would just agree with everyone else in that you just need to practice alot until you feel so comfortable that riding in the field is nothing.

It's hard to say how long it will take you - thats all in how you learn. But look at it this way - I am sure you felt a lot better on it after you were done with your first time right? Each time you will get more and more comfortable with it. Good luck!

Hi Kel!!

Fellow NCer here...what part do you live in?

Just wanted to let you know that I am right there with you...I just started riding myself and am also learning in a big field to boot. I know how it is...that just gets old and you want to move on to bigger and better things. I would just agree with everyone else in that you just need to practice alot until you feel so comfortable that riding in the field is nothing.

It's hard to say how long it will take you - thats all in how you learn. But look at it this way - I am sure you felt a lot better on it after you were done with your first time right? Each time you will get more and more comfortable with it. Good luck!

I am from Charlotte...what part are you from?

Actually I live in Huntersville....work in Charlotte. :cry:

Where in Charlotte is there a field to ride in?

I felt that actual riding boots, riding pants, with protection, and full face helmet were not optional.

I practiced riding in circles in either direction, changing gears, stopping on a line without looking down, figure-eights, and "pole-bending" thru imagined cones.

I went thru two gears.

I rode up and down the alley, in the "county equipment yard" and then, the "dry lake bed": a parking lot might be okay, unless you fall over.

Next, I road on a secondary "dead-end" road, having first black-top, then gravel and dirt, then dirt.

I went thru three gears.

Next, I tried "easy" trails, like a dry-wash with no deep sand.

A local rider suggested I keep it up in third gear for deeper-type sand, at one place, and I did fine.

I had two booklets that came with my new bike: one for road skills, and one for trail skills. I had ridden two Honda 90's in the past, but this is a lot more bike.

I want to practice "skills" for little hills, up and turning back, traverse, and up and over at slow speed (I do know what is one the other side), and especially the "decents".

I want slow-speed skills for rocky "tracks" and traverses.

But I want the Motorcycle Safety Foundation beginner course, and the course for "trail bikes" skills before I go "cross-country" on the many, many trails there are around here.

Here is a link: http://www.msf-usa.org/index_new.cfm?spl=1&action=display_all&content=0DDA24DA-A0CC-53D5-64B11842065D9F5E&pagename=RiderCourse%20Info

I could follow-directions for the skills for trail-bikes, in the booklet, however I feel I want help from an experienced trainer.