M1 red cap users -- oil analysis of new Extended Performance

Found an oil analysis done on Mobil 1 Extended Performance which is replacing all the former Mobil 1 flavors. I will compare to show the changes made which don't seem like much. While the analysis on the Extended Performance was done on a 10w30 you can see that the old Mobil 1 10w30 and 15w50 "red cap" were similar with the amounts of additives which makes me think the changes to the Extended Performance 15w50 should look similar to the EP 10w30

M1 10w30 Extended Performance / M1 10w30 "old" / M1 15w50 "old"

Iron 1 / 2 / 2

Tin 2 / 0 / 0

Moly 76 / 69 / 69

Potas 1 / 0 / 0

Boron 232 / 190 / 176

Silicon 4 / 3 / 8

Sodium 5 / 9 / 8

Calcium 3281 / 2976 / 2339

Mag 13 / 16 / 18

Phos 791 / 749 / 1072

Zinc 958 / 827 / 1175

Susc Vis 62.3 / 58.3 / 89.1

Flash 435 / 430 / 445

TBN 13 / NA / NA

So there it is. It looks as though they beefed up some good stuff like Boron, Phos, and Zinc and also the bad stuff, moly, but just by a small margine.

If I were a betting man I'd say the 15w50 Extended Performance should be good to go for us. I wont be using it for some time as I just bout a gallon of the red cap today.

Aaron

Few oils higher than a 5w-, and no oils higher than 10w- will be EC.

Of course, the "moly-paranoid" will jump in and point to the elevated moly levels as indicating that it's unsuitable for a wet clutch, while at the same time, V-Twin, which is JASO MA and specified for wet-clutch, happens to analyse at 79.

I think the EP will probably be fine for us to use too...

I have about 3 gallons of red cap though so when the time comes for m to buy, surely the answer will be out there by then. My Walmart was loaded with it so I stocked up.

I was there last night though and they were completely out of the red cap. I don't know if they pulled it finally or if they sold out. I'm glad i got it when I did. ?

It's on Wrooster's site.

http://losdos.dyndns.org:8080/public/motomisc5/m1-summary_sm.jpg

My leaning is actually toward M1 Truck & SUV. It's a 5w-40 with no moly. Primary difference is there's more magnesium, less phosphorous and less zinc, though comparable with RC.

As far as the 50w for summer, I like the way Greyracer puts it.

Use the lightest oil available for your temperature conditions. The 10w40/5w40 is good to 114 degrees. Above 114 degrees, if something goes wrong on the trail even a couple of miles from camp, you can quickly become a statistic... not a good day to ride.

OTOH, many of the guys in the northern climates are running RC, and they certainly never see the high side of 100 like we do, so there's obviously no harm in using the 50.