Sign in to follow this  

ft500 ascot in xr or cr frame

i have a ft 500 engine just fresh rebuild. I want to put it in an cr frame i think it will bolt up to an xr500 frame(hard to find). I was wondering if it would fit in a cr frame with some modifications or is it just to small. Any other frame dirt bike that it might work that is fairly easy to come by. I am just wasting time? I know its probaly cheaper and easer to just buy another whole bike. thanks in advance

Hey, Mouse1376!!!

I'm not sure if the FT500 engine is the same as the XR/XL series engines were or not. Maybe someone else can verify that.....

But if they are, maybe you oughtta go to thumperpilot.com, and see this pic of an XR engine squeezed into a '78 or '79 CR250 frame.....

Here's the CR/XR pic.

Here's an FT500 stuffed into an '81 Maico frame.

If the FT engine does indeed mount up exactly as an XR or XL engine, maybe one of those reproduction C&J frames from red-racer.com wouldn't be a bad idea. You'd need some XR wheels, some shocks, and probably later model ('82 or newer) CR forks, I think..... I do know it probably won't cost much more than what I'm currently doing.

I'm in the process of stuffing a '79 XL500 into a '79 CR250 frame. I've had to make a few cuts on the frame, add some bent tubing, and do a lot of other stuff to get the engine to fit. I'm nowhere near done, but getting closer every week. All it takes is money & time... :cry: If you can get a complete rolling CR frame, or Maico frame, it'll likely save ya a few $$$.

Anyways, you can probably put that FT500 engine into just about any reasonable frame you might be able to think of. It'll just take some work & cubic dollars... :cry: Hope this helps ya some....

Diesel', thanks for the pic's, and the links :cry: I love old custom built thumpers like the ones on Thumperpilot. Cheers, Chris.