Valve lash & MCCT Install

First of all, thanks to all the folks who take the time to share their knowledge about their machines here at TT. I just did my first valve check and I also installed the Bitech MCCT (on my LTZ). Nice piece of hardware, Rui!. ?

I changed out the ACCT on my '04 with only 20 hours on it for this reason. The motor was making lots of noise the last time I went riding (slow speeds) with the family. I checked the valves first and they were in spec. Then I went ahead and installed the MCCT. I had to do some fine tuning with the motor running, but i got the tension right and now the motor isn't as noisey. ?

After I took my ACCT out I tested the spring tension with my hands. I couldn't believe how much pressure that little spring constantly exerts on the plunger directly onto the cam chain! It's not hard to see why these can cause the cam chain to stretch out so quickly. ?

Shoot that's what I haven't done to my DRZ 01 E. I can't hear so I haven't did that so far. I'm going to get one and sell the bike, I'd never sell it with that stocker in there. I'm not that kind of guy, it'll have a fresh tank of fuel and the valves will be on the money, the oil changed and the filter cleaned. Who ever gets this bike will get a cherry scooter that's barely ridden. I've rode a few times since that big wreck that I busted all my ribs and shoulderblade on. It didn't mess up the bike any in that wreck it landed on top of me. I guess I make a good landing pad. prairiedawg ????

Burned and Bronco 78, you guys really convinced me that the "ACC Stretcher" was a bad piece of standard equipment. I've had many Honda bikes and now a Yamaha, all ridden hard, and never had to replace a tensioner, let alone a cam chain.

It sure seems like that little tensioner spring is to d_mn strong. Has anybody modified or replaced the spring with good results? What's up with Suzuki and this ongoing dilemma?

They've worked on it every year. I still think it needs replaced even on a 05. I just don't trust this part they made. It's just a screwed up motor waiting to happen. I will replace mine before it is sold. I couldn't live with myself selling a bike that could just handgrenade. prairiedawg ???

((It's not hard to see why these can cause the cam chain to stretch out so quickly. ))

I'm still waiting to find out what's how quickly? 25,000+ miles, the 03 tensioner does kind of float spring tension until it indexs in between the teeth.

While the Manual should definitley eliminate abrupt failure risk, if not adjusted properly though, a vibrating (loose)manually adjusted chain, may wear as quick or quicker than one constantly maintain by tension or too tight may wear aluminum head cam journals.

We've heard that loose cam chains will eat chain guides quickly. The manual advertisements claim less stretch, maybe true and maybe not.

Not knocking either way, just observing.

But that backwards thrust on a 4 wheeler seems a real concern with the auto type.

I'm still waiting to find out what's how quickly? 25,000+ miles, the 03 tensioner does kind of float spring tension until it indexs in between the teeth.

Umm, no,, there is constant full spring pressure on the chain guide,, the 03 ACCT, has a pawl that prevents the plunger from retracting... It has nothing to do with limiting spring pressure forward.

While the Manual should definitley eliminate abrupt failure risk,

and excessive stretch

if not adjusted properly though, a vibrating (loose)manually adjusted chain, may wear as quick or quicker than one constantly maintain by tension or too tight may wear aluminum head cam journals.

and if you don’t put gas in the tank the bike wont run,, if you do not adjust tire pressure correctly,, you may dent a rim,, and yes,, if you do not adjust the MCCT correctly,, it could cause a problem... So,, adjust it correctly,, any one who is qualified to install it,, can adjust it. It is a very simple procedure..

We've heard that loose cam chains will eat chain guides quickly.

We have? who is we? Whose DRZ had a loose cam chain and it cause an issue with the guide? (other then the ones that failed completely,,, it's a given that the chain would be loose at that point)

The manual advertisements claim less stretch, maybe true and maybe not.

Which advertisement is that? I had not seen one yet.....

And it's not a claim,,,, and not in question... the ACCT does cause excessive chain stretch. Why would you claim otherwise? when,, those who have been in motors,, those who have used both styles,, have seen the results,, why would you claim,, that info is untrue....... Ah, never mind..

I go back to my standard statement...

One and all,, use what you want,, believe what you want....

I have a 2003 ACCT for sale if anyone wants it....

?

The ratchet auto tensioner will float tension until it indexes into next tooth, you can see this by the paw shaft wear in between the teeth. If the tension is not quite able to index fully into another tooth, that's where Im speaking of the float. it hasn't enough slack to fully move almost but not quite.

Just my observation on the auto, not to quibble over the manual

Just in another post a guy was mentioning upon valve check his chain was loose using a manual.

I think your a smart guy, if not adjusted right it's an issue that can cause problems. SIMPLE , but I can see your anger

I put 400 plus miles on my bike this week, and you?

Not knocking either way, just observing.

But that backwards thrust on a 4 wheeler seems a real concern with the auto type.

Spud786,

What do you mean by backwards thrust? Engine compression braking with the added load of the quad and the drag of 2 rear wheels? Because the cam chain on my LTZ does chime in a bit when I close the throttle.

The newer ACCT's "should" be better but I didn't want to take that chance. The motor was ticking loudly for being new. I checked my ACCT when I pulled it out and with 20 hours or so and the ratchet moved 4 clicks already with a total of 7 showing out of ?. I know there's initial stretch during break-in but that seems a bit much to me. Oh well, I'll never know since I pitched it anyway.

The ratchet auto tensioner will float tension until it indexes into next tooth, you can see this by the paw shaft wear in between the teeth. If the tension is not quite able to index fully into another tooth, that's where Im speaking of the float. it hasn't enough slack to fully move almost but not quite.

sorry spud,thats not how it works.it under costant pressure.the ratchet pawl just doesnt let it go back.

look at the new rmz450 tensioner.why do you think it has a screw and lock nut?

pictures21050025ur.jpg

i too would like to know who had guide wear?

if your going to say stuff like that you had better be prepared to back it up.other wise its just pure BS!

The CCT is on the left now? Is it an auto with a manual override? Without knowing, it looks like you would loosen it up, run the engine and then tighten back down to keep the tensioner from constantly putting pressure on the cam chain. Hmmm, kind of like the MCCT. Sure looks (a lot) different than the 400's.

Spud786,

What do you mean by backwards thrust? Engine compression braking with the added load of the quad and the drag of 2 rear wheels? Because the cam chain on my LTZ does chime in a bit when I close the throttle.

The newer ACCT's "should" be better but I didn't want to take that chance. The motor was ticking loudly for being new. I checked my ACCT when I pulled it out and with 20 hours or so and the ratchet moved 4 clicks already with a total of 7 showing out of ?. I know there's initial stretch during break-in but that seems a bit much to me. Oh well, I'll never know since I pitched it anyway.

Quad riders spin their rigs and at times it forces the wheels to spin, or try to in reverse, and it is very hard on their engines.

(((sorry spud,thats not how it works.it under costant pressure.the ratchet pawl just doesnt let it go back.))

Here's a test, with an auto tensioner push just enough to force it further out but not enough to engage another tooth, now from the tip side make it collasp into it's present detent lock. That's all we are saying (think about it if you'd like) But I see this type wear from that Paw.

You guys aren't buying it, then I'm okay, no biggy.

I haven't pulled my tensioner in 12k, one reason we are thinking pull it , might as well replace it . Although sucess has been stated never need to adjust. Kientech recommends check every 500k, and I'd in addition want to pull the valve cover to ensure snuggness. Something the auto we dont have to worry about unless catastrophic failure.

Then we'd wish the manual would have been on>G<

ok,while im thinking about it how bout some links to the following.........

We've heard that loose cam chains will eat chain guides quickly. The manual advertisements claim less stretch, maybe true and maybe not.

ok,i thought about it.nope,thats not how it works.

i will be waitng for the links.