Sign in to follow this  

BBR stiffness and weight + PVC fork spring preload and

I think I read my 1000th post one the fork spring/bbe stiffness issue. Do I get some kind of prize? Still not quite sure what the final answer is and suspect it just flat out user preference. However, one remaining question and then my plan.

Is "most" of the talk of the bbr's being too stiff come from young lighter riders? Im 190. Does increased weight make "stiffness" less of an issue or is the effect of weight a completely different factor. Just wondering if the 140# riders find them stiff, do the 190+ riders find them less stiff? Might just have to buy a pair, try them, ifr I dont like them ebay them.

Heck, same for rear spring: increased rider weight mean less stiffness/bounce/pogo issue?

Second, was going to try preloading first. Going to try 1 inch. Went to Home Depot and saw a 1.5 inch PVC coupler I plan to cut down to 1 inch. Seemed easier than a bunch of washers. Will this work? Know some folks have used steel plumbing scraps.

My helmet off to you all :cry:

On the rear the adjusters are there only to adjust sag. Yes the bbr rear spring is a lot stiffer, i have not yet experienced any "po-go effects" i am going to go riding tomorrow in tougher stuff, I'll be in touch.

I weigh 140 and i do not find them too stiff. ****I have 15w. oil in mine /w/ bbr springs all around***

For more info first read my post on the "BBR results" by me, and then feel freely to ask further questions you may have. :cry::cry:

---Denny :cry:

Gunslinger,

I recently "raised" the level of preload I have in one of my 230's to 1.25" long. Even with this length of preload, the forks still compress some under the weight of the bike alone, like when you lift it up off of the kickstand. I can ride pretty aggressive at times, as a has been professional racer. As far as diameter of your preload device, you will start to encounter difficulty with anything that is over @ 1.1875" or 1-3/16" or 30mm in diameter. Racers and tuners have used PVC for preload spacers forever, so go ahead and try your find. At 1.5", you may have some fitment issues. 1" schedule 80 needs to be turned down in a lathe to work, as the standard O.D. is @33mm. I am currently using PVC as my preload device.

I weigh 170, and the forks work very well, and I have NEVER bottomed them, even on some fairly big jumps! I'm not going to claim that they won't clank if pushed hard enough, but the improvement over stock is well worth the effort. I have not tried the BBR springs. I am pleased with the way the forks work in their current configuration. You may find that you need a little more, depending on how hard you push the bike, and your skill level.

I run the preload on the rear shock down as far as it will go. The stock shock seems to be somewhat overdamped, on both compression and rebound. Once it gets hot though it starts to work pretty good.

Good luck with your set-up. Test, test, and test some more.........

Thansk for the replies!

Coeshow: not sure I understand "I run the preload on the rear shock down as far as it will go."

Gunslinger,

The rear shock body has a threaded area that is used to set the spring preload. What I am referring to is, that I run down the preload nut until it will not turn any more. I turn it down until it runs out of threads. Take a look at the shock and you will see what I mean.

Mike

Thanks Mike. That is markedly different from many posts stating something like "turn top one X amount from bottom one, then turn bottom one X amount from top one, then turn top one down to bottom and lock it..."

PS - just ordered the BBR Exhuast :cry: $250 with free shipping. Excitment builds. Wonder if I will be able to do wheelies in thierd gear :cry: