Sign in to follow this  

Went on my first Trail ride with my DRZ

Well today was my first official trail ride with my DRZ, I went to the Shasta dam OHV park in Ca. i went with a few friends who have been riding forever. Unfourtunitly or fourtunitly they forgot I was new at it and started me off with a trail that I latter found out was labeled as "for experienced riders only". It was all up for over 5 miles and maily rocks, so it was tough for me a newbie, but I made up and down in onepiece, then we continued on a down trail that was down, down, and down. Not too much problem there. By the end of this I waswhipped and let them continue on alone and I was planning on taking off home but I did not have a pass to cross the Damn, so I was forced to find my way back to where we parked on my own. luckily I had a map and I managed to follow an intermediate trail home. This was great for my self estim after the other trail as it was completed with no problem and mostly wide open in 3rd gear. I got back to the car, changed clothes and hopped back on the bike and hit the highway home(isn't a liscence plate a wonderful thing)...

All in all it was great!

PS I saw 2 other DRZ E up there, bothe bone stock.....

Sounds like it was all good to me. i know what your saying, but it sounds like you took a negative and turned it into a positive. :cry::cry: you go boy, maybe one day you will be telling stories about someone you took out. Just be careful that you dont scare them off. Sounds like you MANNED UP and didnt let it get to you. Mike in Modesto

So you managed to make it out without breaking anything on your bike (who cares about if you got hurt)? :cry:

My 01 E is basiclly stock but with a lot of the protective devices it needs to be an off road mount in Colorado. This place isn't called the Rocky Mountains for nothing. If you can't find a rock garden here you aren't in the mountains. That's almost all there is. They've tried blaming both horses and bikes for it but they forget one thing that'd happened almost like normal this year SNOW. We get a lot of it in the mountains here. It melts and comes down off of those mountains like a wild river. That does wash off topsoil and leaves the rocks exposed underneath. It's like that on almost all of the peaks here why should the trails be different. You ride here you ride rocks a lot. When you do ride dirt you appreciate it. prairiedawg :cry::cry::cry:

Nothing broken, neither on me or the bike, I did bend the front fender inside out, poped right back. And had a good chat with the dirt on a downhill when I poped in neutral by mistake, I ended up riding the dirt for a few feet ahead of the bike, ended up with the front of the seat loose.

While I am on the seat issue, the ride home on the freeway made up my mind on the Gel seat. it sucks!!! it is hard as a rock, after half an hour I had to pull over and walk for a bit, then I made it home on the next run, but almost stopped again for another but brake.

How does that corbin do on the dirt? Cause if it works on the dirt, then I know it has to be better than this for the street.

Glad to hear you had a great first ride. Sounds like your skid plate got a work out too. Not knowing what the day will bring is half of the fun. Overcoming what comes up is the other half. When you get confident, go ride an enduro. Good times and good tuff people.

About that seat issue, how are you ever going to get monkey butt if you stop and take breaks? Just kidding. Old Super Hunky humor! When my butt gets sore I just stand up. I don't think there is a law against it!

Hi Cavi,

I remember my first real trail ride. We don't have the mountains her in the UK but we make up for it in the amount of mud we have!! :cry: Sounds like you enjoyed it and that's the point.

As far as monkey but goes I's still using a standard seat but I always wear cycling shorts (padded lycra ones) and this seems to have totally cured my problems. It's worth a try and much cheaper than a new seat. Just don't forget to "Go commando" with them or they don't work. Is that too much information..... :cry:

Great story Cavi, my 1st trail ride was awesome too, like losing your virginity, you will always remember it :cry:

I had the exact same feelings about my seat when i first had my drz, after a couple hours i was ina lot of pain, being too tight to go buy a new one i just grited my teeth, now i go on rides upto 8 hours and no problem, you will get used to it :cry:

Yea the first ride is always something to reflect on and guage your progress and as far as monkey butt goes, I got lucky and a friend of mine owns his own motorcycle store and I called him to order a tall seat,he just happened to have a brand new SDG seat in storage that was to tall for another customer, For fifty dollars. It takes a few rides to break it in, so padded shorts is a definite must.

JSV 01 DRZ 400e :cry:

Get over the seat thing. The seat on my drze is like a couch compared to my Husaberg. It is like sitting on a 2x6. It will literally give you two bleeding scabs :cry: by the end of 200 miles....But it sure handles good.