Sign in to follow this  

15 years old with a torn rotator...

Unfortunately, I have torn my rotator cuff. I was in a snowboarding competition today and a local mountain I work at. Well, I was competing in the 13-15 class and decided to step it up and go for the backflip. I rotated perfect, I was spinning fast, until it was time to spot my landing, it was so bright out, I couldn't judge the landing, I came out of my tuck too soon and fell from 15 feet up, right on my shoulder. That pain is so severe, I spent quite a bit of time at the hospital and what not. So, what should I be looking at for a recovery time? They won't know how bad it is until a week from now when the swelling goes down.

Yeah, thanks bud, next time just dont reply. It's not really the answer I was looking for. I was trying to see how long a torn rotator usually takes to heal. And being 15, maybe it would be a bit quicker so I can ride this summer.

While i might not be helpful either, i can tell you from experience that you need to stick with however long the doctor tells you to stay off a bike. You're young, and will heal fast, but you don't want any perminent damage there. If you do find your self healing fast, get into physical theorpy. Like YahamaRdr4E said, we don't know how sever the damage is.. but physical theropy can't hurt anything but your wallet. I broke my left wrist snowboarding about 2 months ago, and i'm still working on getting all my strength and mobility back (i'm 20).

I may be completly wrong, but if you need to wait a week for swelling to go down, you're probably done riding for at least 6 months plus time to get your stength back. If the doctor can't tell becuase the swelling is so bad, a vague description over the internet isn't going to do us much good =)

My dad to also tore his rotator cuff. Last weekend up snowboarding at Boreal. I'm sure his isn't as bad as yours because it was swollen, but not too swollen to tell. the doctor told him he'd be feeling better within about 2 weeks, but it may not be fully healed for a couple months. He's 39 so you may heal sooner, but if its worse, mabey not.

I'm going to give you a hint.. I had a broken leg, (major break), wasn't supposed to get healed untill the end of the season, and I told the lady I had a series to race, I couldn't miss. And she said that she's sorry but it would take about 6 months to hill. ( I only had 2 months. ) I worked out softly everyday on it, went to the local health store and got some muscle builder, and drunk lots of milk. They said it was the quickest recovery they have ever saw.