Sign in to follow this  

[dang] spark plug!

:cry: so i've had my xr4 for about a month now. i have not been able to remove the spark plug due to its position way down in the head.

to solve the problem i bought a $15! socket from motion pro that was made specially for the xr4. i bring it home and the thing is SOOOO long that it wont go in! the down tube gets in the way before i can get it down on the plug. arrrggg! how frustrating!

any advive?

:cry:

I bought the same fricken thing for my bike.

It doesnt work. Its too fat to fit in the last part. Take it back.

I used an XR200 spark plug socket and it worked great. Make sure all the junk is out of there.

Biggest pain in the butt on the bike.

the guy at the shop said that some years of production had casting that needed to be removed around the head that would prevent this socket from going in all the way. maybe thats you...he also said you can easily dremel it out and the socket would fit fine.

how did you even get the socket in and around the plug before you found it could sit down all the way?

Sounds frustrating!

I dont know what they have in the US but here in Australia the XR's come with a tool kit.

Included in that tool kit is a special spark plug socket.

After I read your post, I just went to make sure it fits easy. And it does, you dont have to take the tank off or anything. I just pulled the spark lead off and put it straight on fine.

Mabey they have these ones in the US too? So it would be a genuine spark plug socket I spose. Or mabey you have to buy the whole tool kit?

Good luck! :cry:

You should be able to get just the stock Honda plug wrench from a dealer for about $15. Bikebandit. com also has it listed under oem parts.

Good Luck

Steve :cry:

Definitely need to use the stock plug wrench that came in the tool pouch with the bike... or like the guys said...buy one. My California 2002 XR4 came with the wrong tool pouch originally. After two hours of confusion, I called the dealer and they told me they must have given me the wrong kit. Once I had the right one, removing the plug took two minutes. Sorry for your frustration! I've been there.

ok i tool the cylinder cover off last night and used a dremel to remove excess casting. the socket will now fit...although its not gracefull.

Ok, I'm not the only one. I bought one of those Motion Pro wrenches as well and felt like a jackass for it not working. While my bike is old and tired, it still doesn't go through plugs so I've been in luch so far.

that little tool kit comes in handy. i just used it to remove my spark plug and valve covers. (valve adj) i might use it to work on my cobra. :)

that little tool kit comes in handy. i just used it to remove my spark plug and valve covers. (valve adj) i might use it to work on my cobra. :p

Better watch out ...........It will get yer wifey pregnant too :):):D