Sign in to follow this  

How close can the 230 come....

to a YZ250f with all the recommended mods?

I know the YZ is in a different league, but I'm still torn on whether I need to get rid of my 230 and get something bigger.

I'm just trail riding no MX.

Is it just a waste of time and money for a guy 6'1" 225 to bother with the 230?

I keep going back and forth... get rid of it.... mod it..... get rid of it.... :cry::cry::cry:

Sorry if this has been asked over again... just trying not to compound the mistake I already made and trying not to lose to much more $$$.

thanks for the input... this site is great!!!!

Do what I do, when I am faced with tough decisions I either flip a coin or line 2 pics or something to that effect and close my eyes and pick one. Works everytime.

I know what you mean! I have a 230 & weigh the same as you. On those light gravity days. :cry:

Before you decide at least upgrade to a higher rise handlebar. I have the Protaper SE ATV mid & it has 5.9" rise with 3 " of sweep. Also cut 1 inch of each end since I'm a woodsy rider. This was the best mod to make the bike just fit me better & put me in a much better riding position.

I wish you could ride my bike with the suspension mods because it makes huge difference on how fast you can ride this thing on the trails. I can hang with most riders now on trails & actually have the upper hand on some of the longer technical climbs.

I've ridden a YZ250F quite a bit & it's my favorite in the desert. It's a high speed whoop monster :cry: but actually like my bike better in the woods.

Eventually, I do plan on getting a much bigger bike but until then the 230 is in a real sweet spot for me right now. Hard to beat it on the trails.

:cry:

ever think about the WR-250/450????? I've ridden the 450 and its a torque monster.......if ya have some money go /w/ the ktm 450 exc (mydads)

faster that the wr; My dad hit 75MPH!!!!! only in 5th.....still one more gear to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (its a six speed) :cry::cry::cry::cry:

Before you decide at least upgrade to a higher rise handlebar

Yeah I think the handlebars are a problem for me. That was definitely something I wanted to change. I think it would make a big difference as far as me "fitting" the bike a little better.

ever think about the WR-250/450?????

Actually...YES. I probably was leaning more towards the wr250f than the YZ.

Do what I do, when I am faced with tough decisions I either flip a coin or line 2 pics or something to that effect and close my eyes and pick one. Works everytime.

:cry: yeah I do it all day!!!!

The 2 guys I ride with most often have 2 different opinions.

1. Says... ride that 230 until you can master it .... i'm new at riding.

2. Says... the bike doesnt fit you... it's actually hurting any progress I might be making (which I am definitely doing :cry: )....

thanks

Raise the handlebars and keep making progress. It's like I told my mom about my CRF if you sell it now or in December it is still 2005 it will have the same resell value.

thanks for the input.

I've decide to keep it at this time.

The bike is a month old and i'd have to take a loss on it plus buy a new bike.

I'm just going to spend 500-600 or so on it... give it it's full potential and get better at riding.

Better than spending 6-7000 on a new bike (adding in loss).

thanks.... i'll post with an update of the mods soon.

later

i would get a 250, i went from a 230 to a 250, best move, the power is great. there is a big difference. Im only 5-7 140ish and its great. i ride desert and love it, maybe some mx soon

You can make the power of the 230 entertaining for not too much $$$. The big difference is in the suspension and handling. I'm not sure any amount of money can get the 230's boingers to work as well as well as any of the more racing oriented thumpers (EXC, CRFx, WR, etc.)... unless you drop BIG dinero and get the full BBR 230 kit :cry::cry::cry:

Your best bet would be to trade rides with your riding buddies and see how the bikes you're interested in perform for the type of riding you do.

My friend weighs about 110 and is around 5'4", he has a crf230, and he smokes me on everything but mud and on a motocross track, I have a fully modified WR400. If you have enough skill, then you could probably keep up with a yzf250. Sell the bike if you don't want it.

100% get the WR. I have a CRF230 and YZ250F. The YZF is a great bike, but since your just doing woods get the WR. I think you would be very happy with it.

The KTM EXC450 can go 96, or maybe it was 97. I read that in a test that some magazine did on the bike. :cry:

I have a 230 and an 05 CRF250X. Huge difference. My 230 is great (with a few mod's), but I can't see you being able to build the 230 up to the same bike (suspension, power, weight), without spending a lot of cash. If I could have ridden the 250 before I bought it, there would be no question. Try and find a local where you ride, that will let you take it for a spin, you will know whether you like it better in less than a minute.

What? The Yz 250f will kill the 230 in every kind of riding for a big guy. Okay the 230 has a way better seat, but the Wr has way more room for a big guy. I think you would be throwing your money away by doing a lot of mods to the 230. I like the 230 and it is fun to ride for my size, but at your size good brakes and suspension will make your riding way more fun. I would think you would find a WR250f a better match to your size with enough power to keep you happy. The 05 Honda 250x is a mellow machine power wise to the Yamaha, but a very nice bike for the hills.

One more vote for the WR250F here. It is set up WAY better for trails with the wide-ratio trans, the e-start is a gift from Above, and the headlight is a lifesaver when the ride ends up being an hour longer than you expected.

Over half of my rides have returned to camp after sunset.

To the original poster:

Before you spend a dime on anything w/ the 230F, spend the $500 and buy you a weekend's worth of a riding class. The best bike in the world won't show you jack about weighting on your footpegs, knee clamping, turning, head positioning, soft braking, throttle control, jumping, and wheelie.

The only time you would want and need a competition bike such as those 250F's (that everyone keeps bragging about, but don't tell you the "BOTTOM LINE") is when you are capable enough to compete in a race. Having and using such a race bike for leisure riding is like driving your Ferrari around to run errands. You can do it, but it's going to cost you big bucks - but more importantly, your precious TIME - to maintain it. And that's the BOTTOM LINE.

My WR costs me 1/2 hour every 100-150 miles to change the oil.

The only reason that competition bikes would be higher maint than a trail bike is if they are raced. Pushing the rev limiter will smack the valves, but that will happen on any bike.

We have guys here on TT with 4,000 miles on their WRs and are just now needing to adjust their valves, and they don't ride them like grandpa.

Beyond the engine, they need nothing different from any other bike... lube the suspension, steering head, and wheels, an occasional clutch pack (again, how hard are you on it?).

The difference is when you get stuck in the soft stuff or mud, you have the power to maintain speed and pull through it.

Alright, I love these threads so time to chime in. I had the crf230 and had EXACTLY the same dilemma as you are going thru now. I weigh 195 and even with 1500 bucks in mods, the 230 was no where near the bike the yz250f is. I should have bought the yzf to begin with. Dont waste a dime on the crf, sell it to some high school kid and get the yz250f it is absolutely a sweet bike and performs eons ahead of the crf230. After all the money I spent sweetening up the crf, i was still disappointed and bought the used 2002 yz for 2400 bucks. Theres lots of yzf's out there so if i were you, id just bite the bullet. If you are lucky you can sell yours for somewhere around 2500 and get a used yzf for the same money. I sold mine for 2300 but with all sorts of bbr parts, a jet kit, fmf pipe, and reger mods etc and the yzf is still a MUCH NICER bike even in stock form. You cant even compare the two. Get the yzf, im so glad i did and i came from the crf230. Now i'm all :cry: Dont make the same mistake i did and mod the bike only to be disappointed with it. Good luck. Any questions PM me. The maintenance has been a non issue for me as well. The bike just keeps going.

I appreciate the replies. It helps gettnig as much feedback as possible.

I wish I had known about this forum before I RUSHED to get my first bike.

thanks

mike

I'm a Johnny come lately on this and I just skimmed most of the replies, so if this was mentioned before . . . sorry, but why would you get a yz250f as opposed to a crf250x?????? I've ridden both and the crf is a million times easier to ride. At least for a novice like me. Plus, it has an electric start, which is worth it just for that.