Sign in to follow this  

Cam chain slack?

Just did my first valve check. Was surprised by the amount of cam chain slack that I had with my MCCT. Should I take that slack out of the chain? Thanks.

I run mine pretty tight. You'll hear it if it's too loose. After having the cams out to check shims you're exactly back where you need to be on the cam chain, right? And, not to disagree with the other gentlemen but if it were my bike I'd re-shim to the loose side of the spec. Shims are $4 apiece from Ron Ayer and it looks to me that you could drop a full shim size all the way around. Just my opinion...Good luck! :cry:

I run mine pretty tight. You'll hear it if it's too loose. After having the cams out to check shims you're exactly back where you need to be on the cam chain, right? And, not to disagree with the other gentlemen but if it were my bike I'd re-shim to the loose side of the spec. Shims are $4 apiece from Ron Ayer and it looks to me that you could drop a full shim size all the way around. Just my opinion...Good luck! :cry:

Adjust the MCCT as recommended,, all will be well :cry:

And I too would adjust the valves.. My personal opinion is,, they ARE to tight now... The wait and see approach is a recipe for new valves,, when you miss the moment they are out of spec,, and being help open....Cuz at that point,, it's time for new valves