Sign in to follow this  

Just got a new YZ, need a bit of help

Hi,

My brother just sold his CRF230 a while ago, and bought a YZ250 today. Its a 97 and in pretty dang good shape. He also broke his arm last week, which means I get to ride it :cry:

Since the shops are all closed tomorrow, I need a bit of help. I dont have any premix or extra plugs. What plug does a 97 YZ250 use? Can I get one at Kragen Auto? I believe Kragen has motorcycle premix as well. I'd like to carry a spare.

Anything else I should know?

Thanks!

*edit*

Need to change the oil too. How much does it take, and how do I do it on this bike? No manual was given with it and I havent had time to pick one up yet. Thanks! :cry:

Hey, chatting is nice. Got my answers already :cry:

If anyone has anything to add, feel free :cry:

Hi,

My brother just sold his CRF230 a while ago, and bought a YZ250 today. Its a 97 and in pretty dang good shape. He also broke his arm last week, which means I get to ride it :cry:

Since the shops are all closed tomorrow, I need a bit of help. I dont have any premix or extra plugs. What plug does a 97 YZ250 use? Can I get one at Kragen Auto? I believe Kragen has motorcycle premix as well. I'd like to carry a spare.

Anything else I should know?

Thanks!

*edit*

Need to change the oil too. How much does it take, and how do I do it on this bike? No manual was given with it and I havent had time to pick one up yet. Thanks! :cry:

for spark plugs, get a handful of NGK BR8-ES's. they are cheap ($2) and are a universal 2 stroke spark plug

kragen does carry premix. they generally have mobil MX2T which is good stuff. if they don't have that they'll have valvoline 2 stroke motorcycle oil, which is OK. in a pinch, the best non-MC specific premix to use is pensoil multi-purpose. it will protect and perform just fine, but extended use will leave hard carbon deposits on your PV and head pipe.

for everyday use, my favorites are amsoil dominator, MX2T, castrol TTS (might find this at kragen), and klotz R-50. these oils are all fairly cheap, perform and protect well, offer good storage properties (anti-corrosive), and they burn clean. avoid any oil that is "semi-synthetic." they burn dirty and cost too much (golden spectro, yamalube, champion WP, etc).

also, if you're blowing lots of spooge and/or fowling plugs, it's your jetting, not your premix or premix ratio.

also, if you mostly trail ride, 40:1 is a good ratio (1 pint in 5 gallons of gas). if you MX mostly, thicken it up to 32:1 (20oz into 5 gallons of gas)

Yup, exactly what beerstud said.... although I've had really good luck with Golden Spectro. Drips spooge out the back of the pipe like you wouldn't believe and smoked like a cheap cigar but I never fouled a plug (had one plug in my '95 KX for over a year... finally changed it out of guilt) or any signs of wear. Just my $0.02

Thanks for the replies! I'm new to working on a 2 stroke, as you can see :cry:

I do still have my XR though, so I have permission to be here! :cry:

First ride report:

WHOOOEEE! Excellent bike. Really hard to ride for me now, as I'm not used to using the clutch or the back brake much.

So thats what armpump is...