Sign in to follow this  

Serious Problem Please Help!

I just bought a 2001 YZ125. There were some problems with it, but i fix most of them. I went to change the oil earlier today, and when i was loosening the drain plug the part that the plug screws into that come down about a half inch was cracked, now i cant get the plug to go in. I was wondering if i could weld it back on with the engine still in the frame. NEED HELP SOON. if you have an answer or anyway to help me Please call me. My phone number is 773-481-0247 please ask for SEAN.

We had a 97 RM125 that had this problem, we used JB Weld and then put the plug back in. Did not tighten the plug very much, it never leaked. This was one of the first used bikes we ever bought and when we discovered this problem it looked like the previous owner had done the same thing! It was a temporary fix, but it worked.

reminds me of my YZ125. one day i went to change the oil and couldnt get the rachet to turn. so i kept pushing, then it finally turned after i realized that i had the rachet set to tighten. it broke part of the boss (the hangy down thing) off and bent the rest of it up. luckily it did not strip the threads.

fortunately for me, the guy across the street was a harley builder/cusomizer who had access to a heli arc welder. i didnt want to split the cases either, so i just gave the whole engine to him. he warned me that the heat might cause the cases to warp, and they did. the case seems pulled apart about 1/32" around the weld. i just slathered JB weld all around it and it never leaked any oil.

just be careful about welding...take it to someone that you can trust and does good work.

If you can't weld it you could drill it out and intall a theaded insert. "Not a heli coil."