Sign in to follow this  

Core or Upperbody strength....

Which area is most important to you for sports?  

268 members have voted

1. 1. Which area is most important to you for sports?

• The "core"(oblique, lower back,serratus)
    • Upper body(arms, shoulder,pecs)
    • Legs
    • The Brain

It just doesn't seem right. Does it? No matter how strong we are upstairs, it is all linked by one major component; THE CORE! If we neglect this area, we might as well be SLUGS! A lot of people complain about thier lower backs being sore and it is not sore because of the lower back. Take a look at certain, sport specific athletes physique, and you will see my point. ie; Skiers tend to have a rounded forward shoulder position because of the sport demands the body to tense the pectoral and oblique areas and the back of the shoulder is not as defined, therefore without an intensive all around fitness program the shoulders will "slouch". Back to the lower back; if we ride hard all day every second day, for example, we will strengthen our stomach muscles extremely well, but due to the overpowering structure of the obliques alone, the lower back has to overcompensate for the imbalance created and eventually will cause stress in that area and finally fatique. THE CORE ENTAILS THE STOMACH AND LOWER BACK MUSCLES. What we need to do in order to become proficient in our riding ability is to create the perfect "WRAP". (think of the core as an oversized o-ring) :cry::cry::cry:

I agree that the core is the most important part of the body, but no way is it more important than the brain. That's where your balance, reflexes, timing, and overall skill come from.(mostly)

All the strength and endurance in the world want help you much if you are weak in these areas. Conversely, I've seen some fat, out of shape porkers that can haul ass for a whole enduro because they have skills.

As one of my kids (5 at the time) said one eveniing in the car. "Daddy, if I didn't have a brain, I wouldn't know I was here"

Now what good would it do to ride and not know you were there.

So my vote is BRAIN, though I've seen many ride without one.

Core muscles are really important, but you gotta be able to percive where your going on the track and how to get there so the brain is important too, Its a whole package. And for training, mine consist of mostly cardio (lots of running and streches) cuz it seems to give me more of an overall than just working on my abs or legs or arms. Just one soldiers opinion.

I'm voting for core because brain wasn't even on the list.

Is it me or did the thread get kinda weird. The question was core or upperbody right?

Well if we are just making stuff up I'm going for ears. ears are the most important because then you can't hear braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa of the ride. Okay I'm just being a smart a$$, just kidding guys.

edit- Ha-I didn't even see the voting box. Now I get why you started talking about the brain. Sorry.

I'm voting for core because brain wasn't even on the list.

Is it me or did the thread get kinda weird. The question was core or upperbody right?

Well if we are just making stuff up I'm going for ears. ears are the most important because then you can't hear braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa of the ride. Okay I'm just being a smart a$$, just kidding guys.

edit- Ha-I didn't even see the voting box. Now I get why you started talking about the brain. Sorry.

Gumby, thanks for this post. I'm sorry I put the brain in there....not. I do believe that it is fairly obvious that without the brain we couldn't do :) . Anyways I put it in for the spirit and soul. DAH! Enjoy many more posts from me with no forethought..oh ya, I forgot, we need the brain for that! :)

Everything in the poll is important. I voted upper body because after a day of thrashing around a track i always feel thats what i have worked, mainly my tri-ceps and shoulders more than anything else, but maybe that's just me though, my friends always say their back, legs and fore-arms ake more then anything else.

^I agree I always feel the sorest after good riding in the shoulders, so I guess that would be a weak point for me. I run and lift weights on a regular basis, so maybe that is why my legs dont usualy feel as sore.

All of it is important for MX. You need your hole body to control and opperate the bike, as well as your brain to make smart desisions while racing/riding.

Without upper body you can still ride. Without core you can still ride. CAN YOU STILL RIDE WITHOUT A BRAIN.

core stability ,it all hinges at that point,as bipeds we need the core strong to operate the great levers we have,ie legs n upper body,look at dancers the balance n grace all comes from their core,pilates in its orignal form was always working to strengthen the core,as for ride core first,my wife is a physiotherapist i get it drummed in alot too,urs desertthumper

core stability training is great - we did it for a short while at college and it's actually quite enjoyable and it really does help your lower back a lot and helps with posture

I think both are imporant, but Core is something that you should work on more. I play High School Lacrosse(Spring Sport), and we start training in Mid fall. Every other morning we go in before school and go in the weight room for about 45 minutes. Then we go into the gym and do core stuff and other stuff. The core stuff kills. Its amazing to see these big seniors having difficulty doing Core training. But boy does it sure pay off!!

The core is definately, hands down, without a doubt the most important area of the body to strengthen.

OK, so where do I fit in? The only body part that gives out on me are my legs (and occasionally a little carpal in the left wrist)

yeah you deffinatly need all of the items on the poll to ride good.... but i think the core is pretty important.. if your looking to build up core strength play lacrosse for school, my coach nearly killed us doing core excersizes during preseason