Sign in to follow this  

Steereing Bearings

Is there a proper method to determine whether your triple tree bearings are worn ? Amount of play ? Any play at all ? Just cleaned them and before I regrease them the play seems a little accesive. I"m sure once they are regreased and torqued down into the race the play would probobly go away. Just wondering. Thanks

If they get galled, the bars become harder to turn, if they get sloppy, you have excessive play in the stem.

I usually check mine by putting the bike on a stand, and then seeing if I have any front to back and side to side play in the front end. If I do, I make sure that the bearings are seated correctly. If it is still there, I change them. Usually, the first indication I get is that the bars feel "Notchy" when moving them from side to side.

Sndmn2, I too just completed this maintenance yesterday. Once you clean your bearings in solvent and dry them, they move real well. As long as they are not rusted, pitted, or damaged, they will be fine. Once re-greased, the play is substantially less. If the ball races are nice and smooth, again, no rust, pitting, scratches, etc. re-grease and you are good to go. As vetplus40 states, when everything is tightened up, if you have no side to side and for and aft movement, with smooth steering movement, in all likelyhood all is well. If there is any notchyness to the steering or movement/play in the steering, replace the bearings and races.

Cheers,

If you are looking at the clearance the rollers have in their cage when the bearings are disassembled, that's not really an important aspect, unless the cage is so worn that the rollers are falling out of the bearing. A tapered roller bearing isn't a bearing until it's assembled into its race and properly preloaded.

As was said, galling, scoring, pitting, a rough feel when rotated under pressure are signs the bearing is actually bad. :cry: