Sign in to follow this  

Crf250x/wr250f

Hello

I'm looking for a new bike and both of the CRF250X and WR250F are in my choice. I think it could be intresting to compaire them, knowing that they wont be raced. Beacause I dont have any clue which one to choose.

Thanks

Cedric

This my take (from a biased Yamaha guy, Honda comments are from reading this forum):

Honda Pros:

- lighter

- better handling

- swanky aluminum frame

Honda Cons:

- more likely to need top end work

- carb is more difficult to work on

Yamaha Pros:

- proven reliability. They do crater, and the valves do go out of adjustment, but by most accounts less frequently than the Honda.

Yamaha Cons:

- certain aspects of the design are getting dated.

- needs the free mods as delivered to waken it up.

I have about 20 hours of high rpm street riding on mine, and about 50 hours of trails/logging roads, and haven't touched a thing other than the oil and filter. Just checked the valves for the second time and they haven't moved since new.

Can't go wrong with either bike. I would say if you want the latest 'tech-factor' and don't mind some wrenching then get the Honda, and if you want something that is no slouch and doesn't need babysitting while in the garage then get the Yami.

Well said ^^^

Both bikes are great, each having their pros and cons. also, the price on the X has just gone up a little so take that into consideration i guess. If you are planning on going used, you should probably go with yamaha because of the "better reliability"

Thanks for the info! Like I said, i wont race it, 100% of my ride time is in my farm. :cry:

farm1.jpg

So I dont whant the most perfomant, but the most reliable. Somthing more performant then my 230 while keeping the maintenece low. :cry: I eard that the WR250F was nearly bullet proof.

I did check the the dry weight and they are both 228lb, but the seat height is 37.8'' for th CRF and 38.4'' for the yam. It could be and issue because I'm 5'8, 130lb. I have to argree though, that the valve proble on the CRF scare me. :cry:

How about the price? Is there a major diffference?

Thanks

Cedric

Have you sat on both bikes? The Yamaha seemed a lot taller to me, enough so that there was no way I could handle it when I really needed to get a foot down. I bought a Kouba Link, dropped my Honda by 1 1/2", and now I get both feet down. I'm 5'8 also. With either bike, you'll want to get new springs for your light weight. I've got +40 lbs on you and the stock springs work for me. With lighter springs you'll get proper sag and that will lower the seat height for you.

The valves issue is a tough call. Some guys have had a lot of problems, some have been trouble free. That applies to both bikes. Reading thru the CRF250 threads, I almost didn't buy one because of the horror stories. So I asked: "does anybody have good news" and got a ton of happy owner responses. I've only got 15 hrs on mine, and just checked the valves fearing the worst. They were spot on! :cry: There is some debate about valve wear being related to how hard you work the motor, maybe the racer types (both track and trail) who push the rev limiter often are the ones with the worst reliability problems? That's not me, and sounds like it won't be you?

I switched from a small dirt bike like you and I love my Honda CRF250X. It has great handling, all the power you need to blow thru sand, and way better suspension. Working on the bike for routine maintainance is easy, fun IMO. :cry:

Wow, that's odd, I had the complete opposite feeling. I guess it depends on how soft the suspension is b/c now that I think about it, the 250R that I sat on felt lower to me than the 250X and according to the papers, the 250X is supposed to be lower. And the '04 WR250 felt even lower than 250R. :cry:

I have yet to find an '05 WR250 to sit on but I have a thread going on in the YZ/WR250 forum for short riders and they're saying the '05 is even a little shorter. Good for me, anyway :cry:

Another consideration is your riding style. Both the Yamaha and Honda are high revving, screaming-high revving motors. You bang them thru the gears, more like a 125cc race 2-stroke. Very different power / powerbands than your 230. I looked at the picture of your farm where you want to ride, it's very nice. And if you're looking to tear up those 2 track roads at 60+ mph, this is your bike. If you want the neighbors to see the dust clouds and think you must be out plowing, this is your bike.

Of course you don't have to ride it like that, the Honda will cruise along peaceably. I like knowing that my machine is more capable than I am brave (or is it "nuts"?), there's a certain safety factor there. It will hit stuff at speed that would crush your 230. It is, however, a very different machine, and not using it's potential now and then is a waste of money on technology. There are a couple of bikes that split the difference, like a Yamaha TTR-250 and Suzuki DRZ 250. Lower tech, less horsepower, less maintainance, electric start... And still very fun dirt bikes, more get up and go than the 230, more travel too.

kpicha-

Isn't it odd sitting on bikes in the showroom when they can feel so different from one to the next. I sat on a CRF250X in one dealer that felt lower than mine does with the Kouba Link. Did they mess with the preload setting to address short peoples complaints, without telling you that they've screwed up it's handling? The WR250F I sat on had both my feet up in the air, well shy of touching ground. The salesman was holding it from behind or it would have been ugly.

The suspensions are very stiff on a new machine and you can't set the sag until after the first good day of riding. We loosened my daughter's YZ250F up all the way in the rear and couldn't get it to move hardly 1.5" before the first ride. After the first full day of riding the sag easily went to 3.5", a completely different feel.

She's 5'9" at 118lbs and can almost flat foot the YZ250F which is about the same as the WR250F after one day at the track.

Rich

I sat on a CRF450R at the dealer and was ''solidly'' tippytoe it. But the suspention appeard really soft to me, even with my 130lb. :cry:

Do any one know the price of these bikes: YZ250F, WR250, CRF250X?

Thanks

Cedric

Honda and Yamaha both list MSRP on their web sites. Here's the Yamaha page for the WR250F:

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/products/unitinfo/2/mcy/28/66/0/yamaha_wr250f.aspx

Honda CRF250X:

http://powersports.honda.com/motorcycles/off-road/model.asp?ModelName=CRF250X&ModelYear=2005&ModelId=CRF250X5&bhcp=1

What price you will have to pay to your local dealer is another story. I bought my 250X in December, with snow on the ground, and they really wanted to make the deal happen. :cry: I got 20% off all accessories thru next summer. Since you can really shower these bikes with Bling, that discount has really added up.