Sign in to follow this  

Why remove radiater/carb when checking valves?

Someone wants you to have a lot to do. You're right, they aren't in the way. Remove the tank (which means the seat) and the cam cover, and that's it. On the bigger models the head stays interfere with getting the cover off, but not on the 250F.

I've got a YZ and a WR. You don't have to pull the radiators to check/adjust the valves. The valve cover isn't water cooled, so there aren't any passages that will spill coolant when you open it up (just like valve covers on any car engine).

A quick tip though... after you pull the tank/shrouds, plug the fuel line to the carb and scrub the top of the engine and the frame until they are CLEAN. You don't want bits of crud falling into the engine while it's open.

Well here is my experience with it. The radiator can be removed to help with removing that decompresion lever, yes I know you wouldnt be doing that on a simple valve adjustment but they problebly just cut and paste the instructions for adjustment and replacement. Ok why the carb well its a pain inthe ass to get to the chain tensioner fastening bolt on the far side! With out the carb it would be much easier.

Just my 2 cents..

when Yamaha does something they do it right! Hence the extras steps.

Well here is my experience with it. The radiator can be removed to help with removing that decompresion lever, yes I know you wouldnt be doing that on a simple valve adjustment but they problebly just cut and paste the instructions for adjustment and replacement. Ok why the carb well its a pain inthe ass to get to the chain tensioner fastening bolt on the far side! With out the carb it would be much easier.

Just my 2 cents..

when Yamaha does something they do it right! Hence the extras steps.

The decomp lever is in the way of removing the right exhaust tappet if that valve needs adjusting, but it can be slid far enough forward to clear the tappet without actually removing it from the head. The radiator stays.
My dad thinks you may need to remove those things to release pressure or something. Anyone else have any input?
At the risk of being impolitely blunt, he's wrong. :cry: