Sign in to follow this  

getting a 04 rmz250

im buying a 04 rmz250 in the next week. i have heard of overheating problems ocasionally but i have heard of alot more people saying they havent had any problems.

the guy im buying it off is a C grade racer, its done about 5 or 6 race meets.

what im worried about is i am going to be doing some trails. i was just wondering has anyone had overheating problems when on trails ??

also, what percentage should i run the coolant at ?

I have never had mine overheat but the piston did crack across the top once and something just happened again that I am not sure of but it doesnt have much compression.

cool thanks, i plan on getting a boyeson kit and a 1.6 or 1.8 radiator cap. im getting the bike $2000 below what its worth because it was bought as a crashed freestyle bike where the subframe was snapped off. its fixed now but it needs a new muffler because the core inside is broken.

what would be a good muffler? i saw one on ebay, dr-d muffler and header for $500aud. so probably something like $310US.

also, the bike has done 50 hours. should change the piston or would i need to do the whole topend ? it has 5 or 6 races on it from a C grade racer and the rest would be just normal riding i suppose. i dont race at all, i just enjoy riding. probably not even good enough for C grade.

Check the valve clearence immediatley.If something is wrong in the head it can be very expensive. If it was abused enough to have the subframe snapped, it may not have been up to par on maintanence.

it was a freestyle bike, so it was just a crash.

he has looked after it well. his dad is the mechanic at one of the biggest shops in melbourne and he said it has been checked. but im still going to do it anyway.

when should i put a new piston in it ?

im an apprentice for honda and have had 2 strokes all my life so im just learning about the 4's

at 50 hours it's probably still early for a piston unless it had the crap beat out of it. You can do a leakdwon test to measure how much compression the bike has in order to find out if you need a piston.

cool. i saw on here that people were doing the full thing at 32 hours.

when should i do the piston ? 100 ?

my bike has 50+ and still runs strong. I think maintanence is the key to long piston life.

so you replace the piston when there is low compression and the valves and shit when they are going out of spec too quick ?

what about the exhaust system, whats a good one ?

I am still on a stock exhuast, mainly because I do not have $700 to buy a new one. If I do get an exhaust I might get an M4 (http://m4exhaust.com/) but would rather just put the money towards a new bike, because I wont see the money I paid for the exhaust when I go to sell it.

Do The Engine Ice, Rad Cap,try Two2cool To The Engine Oil, Synthetic Oil. I Live In Texas And Ran The Bike In 100-1o8 Heat Tru Cow Pastures And Never Had It Over Heat. Bigger Rads Would Help. I Sold My Bike With About 10 Hrs On It For $3500 In The States Here.