Sign in to follow this  

What to get my 13 yr old?

A bit of background. He started riding at 10 with a TTR-90. At 12, we moved him to a KX-65. Size wise he is ready for an 85, but he is not the racing type and is just uncomfortable with the whole 2 stroke power. He is also not agressive enough to ride it properly. I know that height wise, the 85's fit him well, but wonder what 4 stroke bikes would be a good suggestion. I was looking into the TTR-125L and the Honda CRF 150. Any thoughts?

Of max importance is keeping him within his comfort zone. If the rush of 2 stroke and the need to be good maintaining rpm's aren't within that zone, 4 stroke is where you gotta be. I think the Honda 125 a darn good bike. There is more to riding than wringing a bike's neck out or racing.

i would look into the crf150 or crf100. The crf230 is a good bike and doesnt have a whole lot of power, but the bike is heavy. You can get a good deal on a 150 too.

You also might consider getting an older 80cc bike. I can tell you from experience that the learning curve on an 80cc 2 stroke is not that steep. He will probably adapt to it very quickly.

I would look at a CRF150 or CRF230. 150's are cheaper and lighter, BUT the 230 has an E-start,more power, and plenty of room to grow into. The 150 is about the same size as a 85, and the 230 is the same size as a CR85 Expert.

I agree with Flyracing24 - the CRF 230 would be a good choice at 13. Plenty of room to grow.

It all depends on how advanced a rider you kid is. The 230 would never make a good racing bike but it is a blast in the woods and on trails.

I bought one for my 13 year old son and he mastered it quickly and soon found its limitations. We moved him up to a YZ426 and he handles it well.

I kept the 230 and love riding it (old fart) on the trails.

Go check them out, depending of your kids size, the 150 may be a better fit because of size. Good luck with your decision....

I would have to say the CRF150. The 230 is actually slower because the power to weight ratio is traggic. But, if you are banging trees in the woods, the 230 doesn't sound so bad. Actually, it's great for woods. The 150 is more of a all around good bike. I can easily be made to produce 2-5 more hp and has a decent suspension. If you were to pop 85 forks and shocks on, suddenly it becomes a 85 eater (not beater). But if you think he can wait a couple months to grow, a CRF250X could easily be lowered and shaved. The power on the 250x is fairly soft, but if you were to uncork it, it can run with the big boys. Good Luck!!!

I also agree with getting a used 80cc and plan on upgrading in two years. He knows how to ride, so getting used to the 2 stroke won't be that big of a deal. The 80cc is a good bridge between now and the next time he would need a bike. Save a few thousand dollars now for the next bike.

I have a 85 2 stroke and a CRF 230. I'll tell ya now that the 85 sucks on the trails around here. If you have tight muddy trails where you ride it will wear them 2 stroke clutches out!!!!!

go with the crf 150 i have an xr100 now and it just doesnt have enogh power to get out of really think deep mud and not much ground clearance either

Get him a used 80cc or 85cc. Then put on a pipe combo that will taylor the power for low-end.

Then re-gear the bike low by adding a sproket with 2-3 teeth more to the rear. It will make the bike much easyer to ride and it will help the bike smooth out the power.

You can also ad a heavyer flywheel to it. SFB sells great ones. Alot of guys that want to smooth out the power will get a heavyer flywheel.

It adds rotating mass to the crank. It makes it so it doesn't rev as hih but can ad torque and smoothness to the power band.

Your son is a good size for an 80/85, the bike is light and has great suspension. Will very little money you can turn it into a begining or non agressive rider friendly bike. :cry::cry:

i hope i helped

-Brian :cry:

My 11 year old went from a 80 to a TT-R125. The small wheel version. Its the perfect bike. Has enough power to haul the kid anywhere I go but not so much he is hanging on for dear life. Now that he is getting taller we have been looking at the CRF 150

if you boy is a big, strong 12 year old then a CRF 150 is perfect.

if he is smaller/weaker, then the TTR 125 is a decent choice too (lame suspension once the speed picks up)

i agree wth vetplus40, however. the minis are scary for about 30 minutes. he has lots of experience (2 years for a youngster is like a lifetime for an adult) so he'll get used to it quickly.

under no circumstances whatsoever should he have a CRF230. they are heavy, undersprung, and no 12 year old boy should have an e-starter. it's bad enough that grown men "need" them.

I was looking into the TTR-125L and the Honda CRF 150. Any thoughts?

Check out a TTR125LE

E for electric start. Also has an adjustable suspension so it's easier to set it up for the rider. The electric start TTR's also have amazing resale so when it's time to move up you minimize your losses. I believe Yamaha has a 24 month promo going on right now that can snap you a new bike for $20 a month. The TTR125LE also has strong aftermarket support so there are quite a few extra add-ons available.

if you boy is a big, strong 12 year old then a CRF 150 is perfect.

if he is smaller/weaker, then the TTR 125 is a decent choice too (lame suspension once the speed picks up)

i agree wth vetplus40, however. the minis are scary for about 30 minutes. he has lots of experience (2 years for a youngster is like a lifetime for an adult) so he'll get used to it quickly.

under no circumstances whatsoever should he have a CRF230. they are heavy, undersprung, and no 12 year old boy should have an e-starter. it's bad enough that grown men "need" them.

Sometimes I wish my 650R had it :cry::cry::cry::cry::devil::cry:

Sometimes I wish my 650R had it :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::devil:

i say that as the former owner of an XR600. i earned a PhD in kick starting with that thing

Well, reviving this post a bit. I just sold his KX 65 today and will be seriously looking. He is telling me that he wants the 85. We primarily ride open fields and at the track. The TTR line is a bit weak in the suspension area so I am leaning away from that. I had a TTR-225 before my YZ250F and I came to hate it. He also started on a TTR-90 and found that he was riding way beyond what it could handle.

I'd like to hear more about taming down the 85's. I don't mind dropping the money for one, but I don't want it sitting there not being ridden either.....

i would go with a kx85 or 100, they have very smooth powerbands. i own and race a kx100 in an x-country series. perfect power and im 170lb dont get the crf too slow too heavy