Sign in to follow this  

electric start problem - please help!

My electric start has just stopped working - it is dead! There is not even a click - and the battery is full charged.

It is not the switch, clutch interlock or kill button because they all test out fine.

The bike starts no problem on the kick and runs no problem. When its running there seems to be a constant quiet "buzzing" type noise from right of the battery (not sure if it was there before). Also when its running and I press then e-start button then I get a definite buzzing/clicking noise from the right but absolutely nothing when the bike is stopped.

I haven't had chance yet to start testing the start circuit, relay etc. Just hoping it's nothing serious!

Does anyone have any idea what is wrong with my bike???

Since I have the R model and not the X. The only thing I would suggest is looking for a fuse.

Hope this helps, out of my service manual, Chapter 18.

Starter motor does not turn

1. Fuse inspection

Check for blown fuse (15a)

2. Battery Inpsection

Is battery in good condition (check with SG meter) if not, charge or replace battery

3. Start Relay Switch Operation

Check the starter relay switch operation.

You should hear the relay "CLICK when the starter switch is depressed and the clutch lever pulled.

• No?..then you have to check the starter relay switch operation

Let me go if you get this far or need more help, we will get this thing runnin!

HR

:cry:

:cry:

How do you know that your battery is fully charged? To be absolutely sure that it is not your battery, I would try to jump start it. I imagine that the start circuits between the Honda/Yami are somewhat similar, and it seems that most of the starting problems with the WR end up being the battery (mine included).

If jump starting doesn't work, then I would continue on your current path:

1. Make sure that you have 12V at your start button.

2. Make sure that when you press it, that you starter relay energizes.

3. If the start relay energizes, make sure it passes 12V to your starter motor.

4. If 3 is true, make sure starter motor is properly grounded (probably grounded through motor/frame, so you may have to take it apart and look for an internal ground.)

5. If all still looks OK, I would get a high amperage DC ammeter and see if the starter is loading the battery. Could also be accomplished by looking for a small voltage drop while pressing the start button. If the starter is taking current, then I would look for electrical or mechanical problems in the starter and start engagement mechanism.

Its now fixed - thanks for all your help

Following the advice I went fuse hunting (didn't know it had any!) and found a spare 15A under the right side cover - a bit more digging revealed one in the starter relay and it was blown. Handy that Honda fit a spare!

Anyway, spare in - bike starts. Thanks for all the quick advice

I have been loitering on here reading threads to gain info and tips on the bike. I have only had it a few months and have fitted full road legal kit, Rekluse clutch, bar mount rear brake etc. after reading up on here.

Thanks again for the friendly help

have fitted full road legal kit

Who sells the kit and what do they charge.Now you can help out a fellow TT .