Sign in to follow this  

Hatfield McCoy vs. Paragon Adevnture Park

My friends and I are planning a spring riding trip. Can any of you that have been to both places compare them? I realize that Hatfield has a much larger riding area than Paragon but I wanted to get comparison of the quality of the riding at both places. We have been to Paragon (only 2 hours drive from us) countless times and really like it but want to plan a long weekend trip somewhere new. Is it worth the 10 hour drive from NJ to Hatfield McCoy if we only have 2 days to ride? Is Hatfield McCoy that much better or would we need more time to benefit from its vastness? Any other recommendations of where to go in the NE?

Thanks,

JD

I've been to both, and I would definitely recommend Hatfield-McCoy, especially if you've ridden Paragon a lot. The trails at HM can be a little beat up and rocky near the trail heads, but once you get deeper into the woods they're really nice. We went with 2 days to ride and it wasn't nearly enough, especially after wasting half a day fixing my friend's bike. Ideally I would spend about 4 or 5 days there, ride 2, take a day off to rest/clean/fix stuff, then ride 1 or 2 more days. They have nice cabins that are close to the trails (you can ride your bike to the trailhead) and reasonably priced. If you've only got a weekend, I would recommend going to western Mass. and riding their trails. They're on par with HM and only 3 hrs away. There's five different forests with legal trails, several hundred miles total. I've ridden Beartown, Pittsfield and October Mountain. Lots of fun. Much nicer than PA. I like Paragon, but I'm not that crazy about the terrain in Pa.

I've been to both and Hatfield McCoys wins hands-down. Don't get me wrong, I love Paragon and I go there often. It is two hours from my house. However, I drove eleven hours (one-way) to ride Hatfiield McCoys last summer and I loved it. I rode every day for four days straight. I could not get enough of that place. I can't wait to get back.

Thanks for the replys hifijr and KLX. I'll have to do some research on the Mass forrests if they are on par with HM since they're a 1/4 of the distance away. If we do end up going to HM, are any of the trailheads better than the others? We like mixed terrain but less rocks and more hillclimbs.

JD