Sign in to follow this  

More On Oil Filters

I recently purchased an 03 YZ250F. I am thinking I will go with the Scott's Stainless Steel oil filter. One concern is how difficlut it is to clean and if over time it will get clogged because of a difficulty in getting it completely cleaned each time. Anyone have any experience with it and can give me some input.

Thanks!

They are easy to clean, and you can get them completely clean with relative ease. They can be washed in any sort of solvent, sprayed clean with a good aerosol carb cleaner, or even soapy water.

The thing to remember is that there is a dirty side and a clean side. The clean side is the inside of the filter, and you should never allow any cleaning media that comes in contact with the outside to enter the interior of the element. So, for example, if you swish the filter in solvent or soapy water, hold by its ends between two fingers with one covering the outlet port in the end of the element. If spraying carb cleaner or water, spray from the inside out through the element when possible. Compressed air is helpful when you can get it. The whole process will add about 5-10 minutes to the oil filter service.

Larger chips that try to stay stuck can be gently dislodged with a wooden toothpick. If you use water, let it air dry, or blow it dry, or use a carb cleaner to wash out the remaining moisture. The mesh is far tougher than the brass OEM types, but care should be taken not to damage it, nevertheless.

The elemnets have no tendency to clog over time, either. If they were seriously neglected, they might, but cleaned with each oil change, nothing like that will happen.