Sign in to follow this  

New bike, and need some suspension advice

I have just purchased a 2003 rm250. I am about 5'9'' 5'10'' and i have rode and owned 250's. I am just now deciding to race in the 250 class (mx) and i know that the 2003 rm250 has Kayaba forks and shocks.

I weigh about 155-160 w/out gear on and i am thinking it needs to be resprung and i also would like a revalve.

I was thinking i could save money buy buying Race tech gold valves and and springs and just doing it myself BUT i do not know hw dificult this is. I have never ventured into the suspension tech department becuase i am afraid of messing it up. I do everthing else on my own so i figure i should learn suspension assembly.

Does anyone have a good link on rebuilding your suspension? I have my Factory Service manual but i don't know what else i need to know.

How long does it take and what special tools would i need?

thank you!

The manual is fairly comprehensive regarding suspension assembly / disassembly. :cry: If you feel compelled to waste your money I recommend the the Gold Valve path, however there is nothing wrong with the stock piston design just modify the valving stacks, change the springs for your weight, you may not even need to change them. :cry:

If you think you are getting confused then send it out to a reliable suspension shop that offers comprehensive after sales service and let them do it all and sit back relax and enjoy your riding. :cry:

thanks,

The thing i needed to know is if i should just get a spring ratio for my weight.

I'm 155 and they are set up for a 170lb rider.

I know i can adjust it but it gets so a point where you can't adjust it anymore and still have it be affective and do what i needs to do.

I guess i'll take it up to town and get it worked over but i was trying to save the extra cash. If i don't take it up i will have money left over for shock/fork gold valves.