Sign in to follow this  

Jump starting

A few years back, I used a car battery to jump a street bike I had, and it boiled the battery over ! So let's say the DRZ 400 E is dead and I don't have a kick start system on it. Is there anything I need to know about jumping it from one battery to another. Using another bike would be one thing, but what about from a car or truck battery if that ever became necessary?

NOT a good idea to jump a bike with a car battery...strange, smoky, things happen to the bike's electrics...

The best course of action is a fresh battery and a battery tender.....

If you MUST jump it....use another bike battery... :cry:

That's kind of what I figured. But wanted to know in case th need came up. I wanted to have a set of jumper cables just in case. I wonder if it would be possible to make a set of cables that had some sort of resistor in them so that a car battery could be used to jump a bike from it.....

What's the problem with jumpstarting a bike from a car battery? The voltage is the same, the bikes resistance hasn't changed - so you'll draw the same amps. I'd think you could leave the car engine turned off as the draw isn't great, and leave them connected only as long as necessary.

Am I missing something?

Problems start if you have the car / truck running. If it's just the battery, there is nothing wrong with the jump.

If you are worried, then discon the - terminal on the DRZ, hook the car battery up (car not running) and let it set for a while. Then unhook the car, rehook the - terminal and you should have some charge.

It's certainly not something I'd make a habit of, but I was wondering in case the need ever came up. Thanks for the tips / replys.

There is more to this question than meets the eye. Yes you can jump a bike from a car assuming the only thing wrong is the bike battery is a little low.

Next question is why is the bike battery low? Sat for 2 months? OK. Defect in the charging system? Shorts? Other electrical problems? Jumping can make those problem worse. You have the potential to deliver 400 to 600 amps where as the bike battery is 100 or less. Voltage is the same, yes. Current draw is based on load, yes. But if you have an unknown/unexpexted load you may get a big surprise.

Car running or not running? Best if not running by a small margin. The bike will not take much juice to start so there is no need to have the car running. Engine off you are starting from 12 volts. Engine on, the car will have more like 14 to 15 volts at the battery. Since you will be charging the bike battery when the jumper cables are connected, you want to limit the current to the bike battery. Engine off helps a little.

Boil the bike battery. If the bike battery is extremely dead, like 5 volts or less, the bike battery can draw more current than is good for it. Usually not a problem if the jumper cables are only on for the jump start and are disconnected right away. I would not charge a bike battery with jumper cables from a car. Too high a charge rate for the bike battery.

Also remember - a car battery will crank a bike nearly forever. Much longer than is good for the starter motor. So if the bike does not start right away, take it easy on the starter motor. Let is cool and go fix the real problem.

The best advise is don't use jumper cables at all. If you have to, understand the risks.