Sign in to follow this  

Bag of Spanners.............

Hi all,

Me again.

Been out on bike and could not be more disappointed.

Its a 400 exc, new on Friday, and it runs crap.

It wont tick over unless its set very very fast.

When you start it on choke it rev's its balls off,

feels like choke is on all time,

and this is best one, if you ride along, open throttle up full in a high gear, so it labours, then shut throttle and pull in clutch it will rev it balls off for between 2 and 3 seconds.

found this out when changing down gear when going down hill, bloody thing speeded up with throttle shut.

It also 'POPS' back through exhaust every time you throttle off, My mates reckon it sounded like a Gatling gun when going down hill.

So it was new on Friday, been De-restricted in shop before I picked it up, and PDI before I got it.

Any suggestions?

I'm ringing shop in morning and asking them what they going to do about it.

What does the de-restricting involve on one of these?

Any carb re-jetting required?

Steve

At KTMtalk.com, everyone strongly recommends the JD jet kit which includes 2 needles and a few jets. Most of us that have installed them, have seen any lean conditions disappear, which is what it sounds like is happening. Also, check real quick to see if your carb is seated correctly and the air cleaner is seated right.

I concur with X440s, sounds like your bike is dead lean or your sparkplug isn't connected too well. Check for obvious air leaks around the carb or hoses that might have been left off. Riding in low temps will also exacerbate any lean condition, how's the weather there?

Sounds really lean. Where did you get it from?

Definitely have the valve clearances checked. Too tight indicators include popping, difficult starting and irregular idle. A cheap way to begin before you start jetting.

I believe it's possible to put the slide in backwards on these. Would be a good place to start.

I believe it's possible to put the slide in backwards on these. Would be a good place to start.

Almost right and probubly the problem, there is a black plastic (but not inexpensive) plate on the front side of the slide, when viewed from the engine side you should see a 1/4" (6mm) hole that appears to go part way thru. Actually it goes thru the black plate and not the slide. If you do not see that hole that plate is installed upside down.

If you go to jdjetting.com to order your jetting kit there is a pic at

http://www.pbase.com/jdjetting1/image/25566144

the slide is the part on wheels, I think its a one way only deal, the plate must be hole down, when its wrong the hole is nov visable.

DJH

Thanks for the assist! I've only had my slide out once a couple of years ago, didn't remember the details. Hope that is his problem. :cry:

Does he have to replace any parts or can the plate be flipped over?

Cheers every one, Spoke to shop today, they where very happy for me to check inside carb, (its only 4 days old) found straight away that the plastic plate with the hole in was the wrong way up.

Changed it correct way and suddenly had a completely different bike! Cured!

Many thanks again.

Steve

Guys - it took over 6 hours to diagnose this guys problem, and another 2 hours before a link was posted with the photo showing him what was wrong! :cry: What's the problem - everyone watching the super bowl yesterday? :cry:

I love it when plan comes together. Where do we send the bill for diagnosis? :cry::cry::cry:

There's a cool beer in the fridge for anyone who wants one!

And while your here could you just sort out...............................................

Steve