Sign in to follow this  

What tires for central FL riding?

I'm wondering what tires work best for Croom/ONF/etc. riding? My bike is a 94 CR500 with Dunlop 752's on it now but I'm due for a change. I was thinking S12's front and rear but what about an IRC M5B (140 too big?) in the back? Will the S12 be more versatile and wear better? Any others (773's?) to consider?

Thanks for any input,

Scott

:cry:

I've never tried the michelins, so no clue there. But I run dunlop 756's on the rear and 773's on the front. They seem to bite pretty good for me.

S12's are obnoxious as hell to anyone who rides behind you :cry: . Be polite to your riding buddies and do not use a tire that kicks so much roost. We should all be more courteous. :cry:

Just kidding of course

S12's are obnoxious as hell to anyone who rides behind you :cry: . Be polite to your riding buddies and do not use a tire that kicks so much roost. We should all be more courteous. :cry:

Just kidding of course

If you rode a lighter, faster bike......you wouldn't be in back :cry:

(just couldn't resist :cry: just kidding)

I run the 773's front and rear, but I do notice the rear wearing rather fast. 2 or 3 runs up and down the street checking jetting will round the knobs. but it did work well in the GA clay, without chunking up.

Just showing my courteous side by letting others lead so they don't get lost, those little under powered 250s have a hard time keeping up.

If you rode a lighter, faster bike......you wouldn't be in back :cry:

(just couldn't resist :cry: just kidding)

I run the 773's front and rear, but I do notice the rear wearing rather fast. 2 or 3 runs up and down the street checking jetting will round the knobs. but it did work well in the GA clay, without chunking up.

You know, they will last alot longer if you stay OFF the pavement :cry:

Besides, how much wear can you be putting on those tires, just looking at the bike in your garage? Hows the foot? Can you make the 18th of Feb.?

How big of a difference does tires really make. I'm running the stock tires on my xr250 and don't really want to spend the money on tires, but if they make a huge difference I will.

How big of a difference does tires really make.

Opinions will differ widely on that question. I don't think it matters much.

You know, they will last alot longer if you stay OFF the pavement :cry:

Besides, how much wear can you be putting on those tires, just looking at the bike in your garage? Hows the foot? Can you make the 18th of Feb.?

been working on the bike last few weeks, re-greased everything and am getting ready to change the oil in the forks. I put the YZ springs in the clutch, and it took care of the creeping in gear. :cry: also put on some acc. I got for x-mas (thank me)

still got a limp, and can't stand on my tippy toes yet. (got to on the bike to touch the ground) the foot is still to swollen to get it in a boot, the DR said it could take as much as 6 months to go down :cry: I have a few pr of tennis shoes I can get it into....but don't dare try to ride in them.

Waker, I don't know what comes stock on the xr, but the yamaha came with 739 front and rear. They sucked for the soft stuff, were ok on hard pack (asphalt) it made a big difference for me. and ask WRE how much a difference new tires make :cry:

Give amsoils fork fluid a try.

All we use is their 5wt stuff. It is as good or better than any other synthetic fluid out there (better than race techs synthetic), and is just $9/Qt.

Give amsoils fork fluid a try.

All we use is their 5wt stuff. It is as good or better than any other synthetic fluid out there (better than race techs synthetic), and is just $9/Qt.

Phil, my dealer got me some ENZO-1 Kayaba fork oil for about $11.00 qt. says that is what he runs :cry: I don't know if it's any better, but I didn't want to get into another "oil" debate. Figure it's better than leaving the stock stuff in from what I've heard.

Thanks for the replies everyone,

The S12's sound like the easy choice for my needs but I'm still curious about a big ole 140/18 M5B on the back of my CR500. It looks like a brutal tire that can hook up well and inflict major damage upon those who dare to follow. :cry:

Scott

Something to keep in mind about fork oil in general.

It gets as dirty as the engine oil does just as quickly. You know the ritual of releasing the air pressure after you ride the bike hard? Well that air always has dust in it, and the oil traps the dust. 10 hours is all it takes.

I bought a case of the amsoil for $100, and swap it out at 7 - 10 hours depending on how hard we ride them.