Sign in to follow this  

Riding on snowmobile trails (legaly...)

First off, I know it would be tanking your life in your hands, but I am still curious. Can you legally ride a dirt bike on snowmobile trails in the winter? You would obviously want studs to keep from spinning and tearing up the trail too bad, but is it legal? Are you good to go with an ORV sticker/ plate, or would you be required to get a snomobile registration and sticker? Your not technically a snowmobile, so I don't know how it would work. Around here the trails go all over the place.

Pipe up if you know anything!

What about one of those snowbike conversions. How would that work?

Give me your ideas/facts.

You can only ride on the snowmobile trail if it is also marked ORV trail. And then you only need your ORV sticker.

Well I dont know about that. He mentioned ORV sticker / plate. Plate meaning License plate. And that will give you acess to more than just orv trails. Lots of the snowobile trails run if seasonal forrest roads. If you are plated all these roads are perficatly legal for you to run in the summer/winter.

Just keep in mind that some of the snowmobile trails are run on private property that the snowmobile clubs have gotten permision for the sledders to use. We cannot ride on this.

Its not legal to ride snowmobile trails on anything but a vehicle that has a trail permite and a Snowmobile permite. This is only during certian times when snow is on the trails. Per michigan law there are certain dates that only snowmobiles may be on a designated trail. ANd yes where a trail runs on a seasonal road is a different story.