Sign in to follow this  

hot gas problem!

Yesterday, at practice when my son was checking his gas, it seemed that the tank was pressurized amd the gas was hot! He quit riding right then, but what could cause this? Maybe a blockage somewhere? :cry:

A tank shouldn't be able to pressurize unless the breather tube in the gas cap is plugged, check that its the only thing that could be wrong, but that would create a vacuum from the carb and the bike would starve fuel. MIKE

Inspect the check valve in the gas cap, or as mentioned above, a plugged breather tube on the cap. If it is sticking, pressure will build in the tank and you will hear vapor escaping as you remove the cap. The tank and fuel will always warm up a bit when riding, but only causes a pressure situation if your check valve is faulty. But, now that I think about it, I am not sure the CRF cap has a check valve in the cap......hmmm....now I am confused. Anyway, something is definitely plugged on your bike between the cap and end of the breather tube.

Most gasolines are made up of approx. 10 different ingredients. Some of the ingredients can be mixtures of many ingredients.

Each individual hydrocarbon will boil at a different point.

Some of them very close to 100F. Its not so hard to make the fuel inside of tha tank on a 450 well over 100f.

Make sure youe vent isnt plugged. Place some reflective tape to the underside of the tank.