Sign in to follow this  

Exhaust Valve Question

I'm replacing my intake valves, and while I've got the cylinder head apart I'm cleaning the exhaust valves. Is there any kind of coating on the exhaust valves? Specifically on the lower part of the stem, between the guide and the seat, or is it just carbon build-up? I also notice it on the edge of the valve, below the seat area on the combustion chamber side. The service manual says to lap the exhaust valves (not the intake valves) when you cut the seats, so I'll assume the exhaust valves are not titanium. Do steel valves have coatings? I've been able to remove the material with a small wire brush and a Scotch Brite pad, but I don't want to have the valve fail because I inadvertently removed a protective coating. Anyone familiar with this? :cry:

I used a wire wheel and worked great.Also while it was apart i polished all the ports.Took a dremel with a wire attachement got all the carbon off and smoothed all the casting bumps.Then i used a buffing wheel with polishing compound and made very smooth and shiney.Just got it back together today and feels very powerful.