Sign in to follow this  

California riders Need Green Red sticker advise

I am going to be getting a used bike here soon. I realize that buying an 02 or older bike is going to get me an automatic green sticker, 03 or newer red. Since I am looking used only the 450x is out of the picture. My question is this. If I bought like an 04 which is red could I register it in Utah and be able to ride it year round like a green sticker bike. Or do Utah riders when they come to California have to buy like a temp tag or something like that while they are here. I figured I would just buy the bike put the Title and Registration in my brother in laws name an then just permanently borrow the bike from him. I would keep the Utah registration tag current. If I was questioned I could just say I am riding my brother in laws bike cause technically it would really be his. Would this work. Just wondering if out of state bikes have to have like a temp tag or something when being ridden in CA. Thanks

Hmm..Good question. I got a temporary green sticker for my 2003 Canadian bike in Nevada, but im not sure about the american models. I didnt even have to register it in Nevada to get it, i only had pay like $20. :cry:

There is a temp Off-Road tag for out of state bikes. They are sold at most of the D-37 events.

You can get all the info from the experts here:

http://www.district37ama.org/forum/

If the bike was "loaned" to you by the owner(who lives out of state), I don't see how there could be a problem. You MIGHT want to have a letter or something from the owner to that effect. Not that I know anybody who's done such a thing..... :cry: