Pictures of our Green Dot ride on 2/5/05

Well we met up at the service station in Vantage at 9:30. The weather was really nice when we first pulled into the staging area, blue skies and a bit windy. The wind picked up during the ride and it became overcast. The wind was from the North and it brought with it a chill. The ground was dry but not dusty.

There were 6 of us. As usual I did not take pictures of all the different terrain we rode through. One of these times I will take the time to make a photo documentary of the different types of terrain you run into on the Green Dots. You know what I mean, the ruts and rocky sections, hill climbs, water crossings and so on.

Here is the staging area:

GD2-5-05_001.jpg

GD2-5-05_002.jpg

Riding off from the parking area:

GD2-5-05_004.jpg

We didn't go more than 6 or 7 miles and my rear tire went flat. Tony took some pictures of the tire fixing adventure which, I'm sure he will post later.

We fixed it on the trail and continued on.

GD2-5-05_005.jpg

GD2-5-05_010.jpg

We were heading down toward the Columbia River.

GD2-5-05_008.jpg

GD2-5-05_009.jpg

We stopped off at the river bank to enjoy the scenery.

GD2-5-05_013.jpg

GD2-5-05_015.jpg

GD2-5-05_016.jpg

GD2-5-05_018.jpg

We left the river and headed up the ravene. As two of us headed up a hill a herd of deer crossed right in front of us. The rest of the guys were too slow at following us so they missed out on the first herd but there was to be another a few miles later. Both herds were about 10 to 15 deers each. After seeing the second herd of deer we dropped down into another ravene and came to a rock house. Here we took a group picture.

GD2-5-05_021.jpg

From here we hit the last leg of our loop. We stopped to take a couple scenery shots and then headed back to the truck.

GD2-5-05_022.jpg

GD2-5-05_024.jpg

We only put in about 39 miles. This was partly due to the limited range of some of the bikes. Better safe than sorry. It was a good ride. I still hope to put together a 70 to 90 mile ride on the Green Dots but that will probably be in early spring.

?

Thanks for the pictures, Nick! I want to ride the green dots one of these days, looks like beautiful country. What happened to Russ, I thought he was supposed to join you guys? ?

He woke up sick Saturday morning and called me at about 6:00 a.m. to cancel out. Hope he is feeling better.

?

Here are some of the pictures I took on the Green Dot Roads ride last Saturday. Nick as always has done a great job of documenting the trip. I will be highlighting parts of the ride.

View_of_Columbia.jpg

This is a view of the Columbia River looking southeast. In the background you can see the Saddle Mountains. The only reason I have this shot is…….well the next photo tells the story.

Stucky_and_Nick_fixing_flat.jpg

OK, Nick’s big XR rear tire went flat. This happened about five miles into the ride. Here we are; it takes a group decision to determine that “yes” it is flat!

We decide to change out the tube. The first thing Nick does is scan for a rock sturdy enough to support the weight of the Xr. Fortunately there are plenty to choose from in this part of the world. I start the stopwatch to time the pros at work; I also remind them that real trail riders can do this in around 10 min. It takes our group around 20. ?

Notice the pipe wrench on the ground? It was mentioned by “someone” ? that anyone who would carry a pipe wrench on the trail has to be mental. I would challenge him to remove an axle nut with his fingers then. My wife looked at these pictures and asked me if that was her crescent wrench? No honey that is my pipe wrench I say. If she doesn’t know a pipe wrench from a crescent wrench, I’m keeping it. ?

We bumped into another group of riders at the rock house.

Other_Riders_at_the_Rock_House.jpg

I know this place well, I slept here a couple of times hunting chucker birds. The rumor is that this was Wiskey Dick's moonshine shack in the 30s. ?

Rock_House.jpg

I had to hit every puddle I could find to get this dirty. Things are getting dusty here already. I can see these hills from my house, a little snow is covering these hills starting about 2000 ft.

http://216.165.194.66/ktmtalk/photogallery/galleries/members/Dirty_Bike.jpg