Sign in to follow this  

Dual Sport - EXC300 or WR450?

I'm looking for a dual sport bike, and I'm thinking about the EXC300 or the WR450. I'm just looking for some suggestions as to what would be a better dual sport bike for my needs. Making a 2 stroke street legal isn't a problem (even though I'm in CA, the bike will be registered and ridden elsewhere).

I'll mostly be riding tight trails in the woods, with an occasional hare scramble two or three times a year. I may occasionally ride on freeways/highways (possibly with an extra set of 17" supermoto wheels/street tires to swap).

I know a lot of people convert the WR450 to dual sport. I'm wondering how well it would do on a highway, cruising 55-65MPH. I have never seen a dual sport EXC300, nor have I ever ridden one so I really don't know much about that bike. Does anyone have a dual sport EXC300 and if so, what are your thoughts?

Both would make great choices. The only trouble with the EXC is having to tote oil along with you on those long rides. Neither bike is well suited for long stretches of highway.

My '02 426 is street legal in Michigan. I love it in the tight woods, but its by no means comfortable on the pavement. Lots of vibration at and above highway speeds, and thats with the stock, soft dunlops. Its not noticeable if your highway stretches are short-lived, but you will want to get back on the dirt as soon as you start to get uncomfortable.

Both are great bikes, though. You will be happy with either one. It is much easier to just fill up and go rather than mixing oil at the pump.

Those yamahas are really nice, yamaha is the only one I think that knows what they are doing with TI valves and that engine has proved itself to be pretty durable..but so has the 300EXC...which is supposed to be pure magic in the woods. I also ride a plated two stroke..they get kind of annoying on the street because they hate running a steady speed and usually need cleared out every few miles or so, at least mine does. My YZ250 almost fouled a plug to the point where it had no power..and felt out of fuel..then I just ran it hard for a few runs and it cleaned right up.

actually have both in my garage. simple as this. neather are great on the highway, I use the KTM if there is little or no "highway" planned because it is extremely friendly in the tight woods.I use the wr if I'm spending alot of time on fire road and such. the two stroke part is a pain, but you get over it. I'm sure you will enjoy whatever you choose.