Sign in to follow this  

my xr250 took a plunge, HELP PLEASE

Well today, me and my friends went mudding, I went through this huge puddle up to my seat and made it through, then I went through a different really deap puddle and fell over in the middle of it. While it was under i kept the throttle pinned hoping no water would get in the exhaust. Now, my bike wont start. At first, it would start and idle but as soon as you would give it gas, it would die. Now it just plain wont start. We tipped it upside down and nothing came out of the exhaust. I washed it and now its all clean. Now should i just give it a week and let everything dry and then try and start it? Is my bike ruined? Please help!! :cry:

I would clean the airfilter, carb take out the plug, try to get out any water and let it air out. Should fire up. My cousins bike went under a little and he just emptied the float bowl and was good to go. But thats all he could do seeing as how he had to leave it in the woods overnight. :cry:

DO NOT let this bike sit.

First drain your oil and make sure there is no water in it.

Pull your spark plug and blow out the cylinder. Also blow air at and around all of your electrical connections.

Blow out your kill switch to make sure it is dry.

Drain the float bowl.

Replace your spark plug and try to get this bike started. Hopefully you did not bend a rod or break the rings or piston if it sucked water up while revved out.

If it fires up check your oil for any moisture. If you see any on the stick change the oil again.

Run the bike until it's well warmed up and shut it down.

Check your head bearings and clean and grease if necessary. Now would be a good time to clean and grease your swingarm bearings also.

If it absolutely won't start pour some oil into the cylinder and kick it over a few times to lubricate everything until it can be pulled apart.

DO NOT rev the bike wide open when it starts to go under water. You can really kill it.

On the plus side we've drowned xr250s and xr4s many many times and generally haven't had much trouble.

Good luck.

really really really not good, i just let everything dry with spark plug out and everything taken off for two days. I cleaned the carb and did everything. It will not kick over. It will not find TDC. I just tried roll starting it down the street and it will kinda sputter then die!! Oh no what is wrong?!?!? PLEASE HELP ME

:cry::cry::devil::cry::cry::cry:

My nephew just did the same thing to his ttr125, killed it, needs to be rebuilt, on the other hand, my other nephew fell in at the same time with his 2 stroke suzuki 85(i think its an 85cc), all we had to do was drain the water, replace the plug, and he rode it back to the truck, 2 stroke thing or just got lucky, I am not sure.....anyone know for sure?

pour a tiny bit of oil into the cylinder and kick it over. It seems like your engine is lacking compression as you can't find TDC. So hopefully if you pour some oil into the cylinder and kick it over it might let the rings reseal and make you a very happy person. If not.. it's time to pull the engine because you probably have bent valves or ruined seals.

ok i poured a tiny bit of oil into the cylinder. It felt like once or twice i found tdc and i was getting a little compression, but no it wouldn't start! I'm starting to really freak out. How much will this cost to have a mechanic fix?

:cry::D:cry::cry::cry::cry::devil::devil:

Oh, I feel for you man.... Hopefully you'll be able to get it to work out. I would just replace the plug first. I notice that when I get in a no starty situation with my bike (when it was cold and I didn't learn the heat trick yet), that I would get all worried and think I had no compression and fiddle with the decomp lever. :cry: I hope you can just do a quick fix like a plug and have it fire up. Good luck to you. On a lighter note, have you gotten any cracks from your friends about your XR always being the bike ridden out for all the other broken down bikes? :cry: Good luck to you.

i already tried replacing the plug, nothing. Haha yea this is the first time my bike has broken anything. My bike is always used by my friends to ride back to a house or car and get equipment to fix their bikes.

Does anyone know anything else i can do? How much is this going to cost to get it running back to tip top shape again?

how much oil did you add? A few tablespoons should be fine. You just gotta kick it over a bunch slowly and let the oil work its way down the cylinder and hopefully help fix up the rings. Next thing to do after that is basically to pull the engine. You either have bad rings or bent valves. So an engine breakdown is going to be mandatory if you cannot fix the compression. Have you taken off your header to make sure there isn't water lodged anywhere weird?

no i havn't taken off my header, but wouldn't you think the water would have dried by now? Ummm maybe i didn't add enough oil because I only added about one tablespoon. Tomarow I will try and add a little more oil because I was starting to get some compression....

I recently submerged my bike under water totally.. (I was cruising through a big body of water and then all of a sudden it dropped 5 feet into more water)

Anyway, it was "hydro-locked" and I finally broke it free and kicked the engine.. I let it sit for a few days, then after a while kicked the engine till no more water came outta the exhaust.. Pulled the plug and replaced it.. drained oil and gas, put new oil and gas in it, started right up after a few kicks..

This is my old '81 XL250 :cry: Its our family heirloom, my uncle bought it new in 1981.

you guys are the best. Seriously, you guys save me so much money from going to the dealer and have them fix it. I finally got my XR running after the little mis hap with the five foot deep "puddle." I changed the oil about twice and the oil filter. I found water in the oil. Now, it runs just fine and it's back to the good ol times. Thanks again, I really owe you guys one! :p:D:D:D:D:o:);):):D

Hey, good job with sticking to your problem. After about a week troubleshooting i just give up and say, "Hey, dad!" Little things like that water in the oil can do the job. Just to tell ya that engine rebuild woulda been around $1000. Keep on ridin'!

---------

1987 Xr250r- 909 Team talls, Millville tires, maier

plastics, ufo universal mx fender, cycra bark busters, k&n airfilter,white brothers e-series, snorkel removed, and many more experiments.

1961 Honda 90- Totally stock and she still rips!

lol, this guy drowed his bike lololololol "i kept the throttle pinned hoping no water would get in the exhaust" lol some peopl shouldn't own bikes lol

lol, this guy drowed his bike lololololol "i kept the throttle pinned hoping no water would get in the exhaust" lol some peopl shouldn't own bikes lol

Yeah, ...and some other people shouldn't post on forums. :)

This is the place to learn about exactly these types of things. Frankly I give him a lot of credit for coming here and seeking out help rather than just taking it to a shop or worse yet ...whining about it incessantly while doing nothing.

Great job getting your bike up and running again Brock, now, the next time you drop it in water you'll know both what *not* to do, and how to get her up and running again. :)

There is some good advice there. Last MDW a buddy dropped his WR250F in a Quad hole and water lock his cyl, we pulled the plug got all the water out of the cly, tipped the bike on it's end to get the water out of the pipe and drained the carb bowl and airbox. This ended the day of riding as he had to first push his bike out of the trail and then we had to ride back 30 mins., for the truck. The good news was that after a new plug was bought and installed with a good deal of cranking it finally came to life, and the next day we rode. Yet another reason to carry a new plug and tools, he used my tools.

Good luck.

buy some Sta-Bil fogging oil. It will prevent everything in the engine from getting rusty. It's easy to use, you take the air filter off, start the bike, spray in the air filter intake for 3 seconds. Let run a little bit. Take off the spark plug, spray it in there a little bit. And it works! I recently dropped my bike into a canal and since i have read on hear of what to do, my first instict was to turn it off, open the air filter thingy, and get the water out. And when i did this i was still in the canal.