Sign in to follow this  

More dirt oriented tires for DRZ S

Please bear with me ... I'm new here just registered today and I'm also new to the drz .. not new to bikes but I just bought a left over '03 drz s this week!. I know this question has probably been asked a million times but how do you find tires to fit the drz that are aggressive enough for serious dirt riding but are dot rated? Please let me know what the experts here are running and what size they are. I would really like your help on this. I was looking at some threads the other day and thought i saw a tire manufacturer in Louisiana talked about but i can't remember who they were. Again i apologize if this question is asked to a point of boring everyone but I truly need so ideas here. Thanks !

I started out with Dunlop D606 front and rear but didn't like the feel on gravel roads and have sense switched to a Pirelli MT21 rear 120/90. I think I am going to try a MT21 on the front and maybe switch to something else for the rear I would like to try a larger tire but I am unsure of what brand. :cry:

I do like the MT21 Rear but just want to try something else.

Tim

I have used Kenda track masters k760. The rear is fine for almost any terrain that I encounter, the front is a bit vague feeling in the wet stuff.

I am now using Michelin AC10's. Waiting for the snow to melt before I have a good opinion on them. They are 2x as expensive than the Kenda's.

I hope they are twice as good.

Kenda Trackmaster II's (760's) are really good DOT rated tires (low priced as well). The rear has awesome hookup and the front is good for most anything except deep mud/sand :cry:

Thanks for info so far .... but don't you find it hard to find the right size? Like the Pirelli MT 21's I don't see a 80/100 listed. Do you guys substitute sizes and if so what do you use?? Can't wait for the snow to be gone here too .... come on spring!

Greg

I find the 100's a bit narrow, so I use 120's.

I think they do differ in width from one brand to another.

Thanks for info so far .... but don't you find it hard to find the right size? Like the Pirelli MT 21's I don't see a 80/100 listed. Do you guys substitute sizes and if so what do you use?? Can't wait for the snow to be gone here too .... come on spring!

Greg

Substitute! I am currently running 120/90 MT21 but I think next time I will go with a 130/90 it just seems like the 120/90 is to small.

There has been some talk on here about the Tera-flex but it only comes in a 140/80 I'm not sure I want to go that big and it is expensive.

Here's the link to the Tera-Flex

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122986

Thanks for the link to Terra -Flex ... So far it seems I'm hearing that there is room to go larger in the rear with no problem ... but what about the front ... do most of you stay with the stock size or what ... there just doesn't seem to be alot od DOT tires in the stock size ...

Substitute! I am currently running 120/90 MT21 but I think next time I will go with a 130/90 it just seems like the 120/90 is to small.

I think I'll try that when the 120/90 wears out..

I'm also running MT21's and I think they are awesome - the rear will lock up on you, but that's what DOT knobbies do.. Just get used to using the front brake on the street and save the rear tire..

So far - I've got 500 miles on them, and they are just breaking through the siping... Good tire....

yeah - 90/90-21 just looked again.. I've ridden in soft dune sand, and hard pack, and the street - I like those tires...

For the street - I wish I had a set of 17" wheels and slicks...

Im running Michelin AC10's front & back

They tend to follow cracks & joins in the asphalt

But that also makes them good at claiming out of ruts on the dirt

Good tier if you cant be bothered putting the bike on a trailer

To get to your riding place

pd

Ive had good luck with the Metzler Karroo rear - 140/80/18

The front isn't that aggressive so I switched to the Bridgestone E661 - 90/90/21

Nice deep knobs and more center contact patch then most other

aggressive DOT fronts.

Probably going to try a Terra flex next since its getting good reviews.

Its all a compromise until you get a second set of street rims. :cry:

I really like the Dunlop 606 front and rear for a true dual purpose tire. Good on street and dirt.

I may however try the terraflex just for grins as my next rear.

Wow.... I've seen a bunch of these posts...

I my self had Dunlop D606's on front and back.... Now i got a Kenda Trackmaster II on the rear.

After looking at pictures of all these tires that you guys are talking about on rockymountainmc.com

I think that Michelin AC10 tires look the best for Off-road and are still street legal. Once I go through this kenda I think I am going to try that tire out.

Glad to here there is such a variety of tires being used! No one has clearance problems with 140's on the rear?

Greg

Glad to here there is such a variety of tires being used! No one has clearance problems with 140's on the rear?

Greg

It's all in the numbers,, and different manufactures.

Tire designations are not law,, just guidelines for manufactures to follow,,,Or not. The formula for figuring tire sizes is constant,, the manufactures producing tires true in size is not.

Michelins 140/80x18 is about the same width as a 120/90x18 by say,, dunlop

I am using the Pirelli MT21 and find them to be very good on front and rear. Anything is better than those slicks from the factory!

I really like the Dunlop 606 front and rear for a true dual purpose tire. Good on street and dirt.

How would you compare them to the stock wings for street use? Any lock up or wash out issues?

I'm a new user & new to dirt biking, after years of mountain biking I decided to stop eating granola and start huffing exhaust. MMMM. The 2 wheel handling skills transfer right over well I have a lot to learn still. I have run so many different off-road tires over the years of mountain biking that I have my own preferences in tires. I looked at the popular pirelli tires mt21, I didnt like the front tire expecially because the blocks have rounded edges on them, my experience in tires is that sharp edges, among other things = bite into the dirt that rounded edges lack. I Looked at the D606 from dunlop and almost bought them but the rear tires blocks were too big and too close together = holds dirt and mud. Michelins looked pretty good but were more expensive. I have run IRC tires on my mountain bike, they have some of the most proven mountain bike tires on the market. So I checked out their Motorcycle website. http://www.irc-tire.com/mce/ They have a new tire called the BR-99 short for Battle Rally (kind of cheesy) But was exacly what I was looking for, its a DOT approved tire that really looks a lot like an MX specific tire. I have only been on a few rides with these and seem to be very off road capable and predictable, but not stable over 70 on the pavement.