Sign in to follow this  

Street Legal Two-Smokes

I know Two-Strokes are a little off topic. I was wondering what the process was to get one street legal in AZ. I know the mechanics of it, you need a brake light, a horn, a headlight, license plate bracket and license plate light. And I bet I could get through the DMV and get a plate.

I’m not sure, but I think the problem is emissions. I have seen the Derbi GPR and Aprilia RS50 are two stroke, get street plates easy. But you can’t get the 125 or 250 Aprilia’s plated. Maybe sub-50cc’s are exempt? But there are a heck of a lot of them with big bore kits, that are actually 80-90cc, and they don’t seem to have any problems.

A YZ85, or CR85 Expert, or KTM 85, or the elusive KTM 105 would make an awesome next step up for my wifes TTR-125LE dual sport. And I could imagine that a KTM 200EXC would make a wildly fun SuperMoto.

And every once in a while, I see a regular 250cc two stroke dirt bike with street plates like this one http://adcache.cycletrader.com/5/2/6/77683626.htm

So, what’s the real story?

Each state is different, but the real story is *probably* that the govt worker at the DMV won't know her a$$ from her armpit when it comes to makes and models of bikes. If you just go in there with a straight face and have it in your head that it's a "street bike" it may work.

But in my state, bikes don't get inspected or anything. We just walk in, pay the money, and off we go. The technical things you listed (lights, etc.) are important to keep from being pulled over.

But in my state, bikes don't get inspected or anything. We just walk in, pay the money, and off we go. The technical things you listed (lights, etc.) are important to keep from being pulled over.

Here, they make you sign a sheet stating you have conformed to the legal requirements (lights and horn above). But, they don't inspect here either. But, there is an emissions inspection every couple of years. That's where I wonder how the Two-Strokes pass.

Two-Stroke emission inspection is really my question I guess. If I knew how/if I could pass that, I could probably do the rest.

You're telling me that in NE, you can walk into the DMV with an orgin of authenticity paper and they'll give send you a title and give you a plate and thats IT? :cry::cry::cry: You could make a living exporting bikes to California! :cry::cry:

Each state is different, but the real story is *probably* that the govt worker at the DMV won't know her a$$ from her armpit when it comes to makes and models of bikes. If you just go in there with a straight face and have it in your head that it's a "street bike" it may work.

You're telling me that in NE, you can walk into the DMV with an orgin of authenticity paper and they'll give send you a title and give you a plate and thats IT? :cry::cry::cry: You could make a living exporting bikes to California! :cry::cry:

Look at cycletrader.com, there are a lot of bikes plated in other states. I've read of several people walking into the DMV in the Peoples Republic of Kaliforna with an out of state title and "transferring" it without question, once it's been plated somewhere else. It seems that it's popular to get one from Colorado and import into your country.

I still wonder, how do you get through an emissions inspection?

I still wonder, how do you get through an emissions inspection?

Would running the Oil/Gas mix really lean just for the test help? Then just go around the corner and pour a bit more back in? I mean if its only for a few mins?

I'll have one on my 04' 300 EXC very soon here. You just need a VIN Verification form filled out by a place like Grease Monkey, a Equipment Compliance form filled out by you, Bill of sale or Certificate of Origin and Insurance.

Bikes are not tested in CA.

However, the DMV is getting better at figuring out the VIN numbers that are not street legal.

I've seen some nice street legal bikes including a motard CR500.

I've seen some nice street legal bikes including a motard CR500.
I was just wondering.. now.. Street Legal, motard, CR500... It's gone from a curiosity to a full-blown wet dream now....