Sign in to follow this  

Spinning Nut

I've got a 02 YZF 250 and the nut in the subframe that is the upper mount for the exhaust is spinning. It's not stripped, it just spins in the aluminium. It looks like the nut was riveted in but it has loosened off and just spins now. What can I do to repair this? Thanks

JB weld doesn't hold well. All the vibrations still shakes it loose. I had the same problem. What I did was just drill it out. Through the fender also. Put a Stainless hex head and a teflon lock nut and washer on the inside(fender side). A little locktite and locking washer and that sucker cant come off. Barely can tell it is even there.

That may be an option.

I don't have one in front of me, but if I remember right, that nut is one of the type that starts out as a nut with a small sort of tubular sleeve sticking up on one end. The sleeve is inserted into the hole it mounts in, and then the sleeve is crushed, rivet-like to hold it.

Here's what I suggest as a cheap/quick fix. First you need to get the bolt that's in it out. Then, get a bolt with the same thread about 2 inches long, and a nut that threads onto it. You will need to create a cone shaped collar that slides onto the bolt. Assemble it by running the nut on, then the cone, with the conical end toward the spinning nut. Thread the bolt into the nut so it has full thread contact. Holding the bolt, run the nut down, forcing the cone into the mouth of the nut, and it may tighten the fit of the nut to the frame.

If this fails, you can use a rivet nut, or NutSert to replace the offending fastener after you drill it out.