Sign in to follow this  

KTM525exc gas cap prob.

My brand new 05 525 EXC gas cap leaks around the threads no matter how tight I tighten it. Also as soon as I put the cap on it starts bubbling gas out the vent hose. Anybody ever heard of such a thing?

My friends EXC525 did the same thing, he took apart the cap/vent assy and reassembled it, he also had to work the threads on the cap. Worked fine after that. Since the bike is brand new, I would have my dealer replace it anyway...

SoCal

Your probably overfilling the tank.The owners manual states the proper fill level.I also have noticed the bubbling hose thing(i probably put to much gas in)but haven/t noticed the cap leaking.

i have seen this problem alot. check the rubber seal under the cap! make sure the seal is installed at the very bottom of the threads. that should cure the leakage. this is problem is caused by overtightening the cap as the seal folds in on it's self when you undo the cap and lifts itself past the threads and wont allow the cap to seal properly after. :cry:

eurodave nailed it. Work the gasket edges with a medium flat tip screwdriver to get it to lay flat around the top of the threads.

Make sure the top of the tank does not have a raised edge that would limit the cap from sealing good. Better yet take it back to the dealer and let them worry about it. It's a brand new bike!

The exact same thing happened to me and it turned out I actually lost the rubber insert inside the gascap while refueling in the pits. It falls out real easy. Get a new one for about $2.

/Allram