Sign in to follow this  

How Dangerous

Hey guys,

this is such a great forum. I want to ask a general question since I am new to dirtbiking and just put a deposit down on a bike.

Just how dangerous is this sport? I plan on riding trails out in the CA desert and plan to get all the equipment: boots, gloves, helmet, neck brace, kidney guard, elbow guards, chest protector,.. etc. I'm not a crazy risk taker but as with anything, the better you get, the more chances you end up taking. I just don't want to go out there and hurt my back or something and become a burden to my family. Biking is just such a rush and I'm already addicted, there may be no turning back. Thanks

:cry:

Yes it is dangerous and so is snowboarding, water skiing, bicycles, hunting, driving a car and a lot of other activities. Stay in your house or go out and have fun just respect what you are doing never take your eye off the ball or it will hit you.

I totally agree. Of course I'm a beginner and this is probably not a good question, but I plan on riding conservatively(live to ride another day is my motto). How many bad accidents have you heard of/ witnessed in your experiences with riding?

In the two plus years I've been riding, the worse I've had was a big scrape on my arm. I've had some nasty get offs too, at 30+ mph. But the other day we were snowboarding, and my brother landed wrong on a ramp from maybe 2 feet up and broke his arm.

My neighbors dad fell over from basically a standstill and broke his ankle.

Its a risk we all take. Statistically driving your car is probably more dangerous.

Yes it is dangerous and so is snowboarding, water skiing, bicycles, hunting, driving a car and a lot of other activities. Stay in your house or go out and have fun just respect what you are doing never take your eye off the ball or it will hit you.

I totally agree! I've surfed big waves, snowboarded, 4 wheeled harcore trails etc.. but dirtbikes (maybe the adrenaline rush) seems the most intimidating. Maybe it's the rush I get every time I twist the throttle. Thanks. :cry:

Thanks guys, keep the inputs coming. This forum is a huge asset! :cry:

Ah heck, just take it easy, PAY ATTENTION, and you'll be fine.

What kind of bike are you getting???

I've asked myself the same question several times. (37Yrs old) Have ridden in the teens then started again about at 32. Bought my kids(2) bikes. Eventualy endend up with the neighbors/Friends buying bikes. Racing started!! Kids ran 2yrs without ever e bad wreck. My youngest(6yrs) who was racing his 2nd time wrecked BAD!! , over the bars, bike flipped all over, f#$%$ the PW 50 up bad. Anyway he was OK. Point is, I sat back and watched all the other stuff my kids do and I said to myself " I think MC riding is safer then all the other stuff they do." Skateboard, Scooters, Football.......... They seem to get hurt more doing other stuff.

As far as the adult side, I am a big mountain biker which in a way I think more dangerous.

I would say that 90+% of the accidents that I see out in Ocotillo Wells (SoCal desert area) are all alcohol related. That said, one of your most important safety devices you can ever have, is a functional brain...common sense. That in itself, will dramatically reduce your chances of serious injury while dirtbiking out here, although it doesnt protect you from all the drunk idiots that you have to share the desert with. This is the main reason why the Sheriff's are cracking down on alcohol consumption in busy areas (Blow Sand, Devil's Slide, Shell Reef, etc) I'm not a cranky old guy either...just an 18 year-old kid who enjoys his sport and hates to see it get a bad rap by idiotic behavior...stupid quad riders :cry: Anyways, I like to have a good time, but like all things there is a time and a place, and hoping on a quad, dirtbike, rail, car, you name it, just isnt it, especially when you're jeopardizing the safety of all the families/kids around you.

Forgive my ranting...it felt good. :cry:

~Cheers,

Jeff

Ah heck, just take it easy, PAY ATTENTION, and you'll be fine.

What kind of bike are you getting???

02' wr250f. Sweet bike!

02' wr250f. Sweet bike!

At least the '02 is green sticker here in Cali...It's a crying shame that Yamaha hasn't stepped up to the plate and made the newer WR 250's green sticker legal :cry: tisk, tisk, tisk. I suppose it's a start though with the new '05 WR 450, although with one look at the baffle, I'm not quite sure if the bike can run in stock form!!! But, alas, it gets the sticker...and that's what counts.

~Cheers,

Jeff

I think a lot has to do with your frame of mind. I am 40 and the main bread winner for my family. I keep that in mind EVERYTIME I ride. Not that I don't have fun, I just don't take huge risks. This paid off for me a couple of months ago when my son and I were riding in a river wash. I came around a blind corner very slow with my son about 30 feet behind me. As I rounded the corner, there was a sand rail coming head on to me. I was able to make it around and put up a hand for the sand rail to stop which he did. My son came around the corner again going slow but was not able to stop before hitting the sandrail head on. He was going less than 5 m.p.h. and did not get hurt THANK GOD. We take it safe and always watch out for the other guy.

I started riding at 10, am 45 now, and have never been without a gas powered 2 wheeler since my X-mas of '69 Honda Mini-Trial 50. I've seen many falls, drops, etc. The one that continues to affect me is when I was 11 and my friend (behind me) was fiddling with the fuel petcock, on-the-run with his left knee cocked out into the wind, and he didn't see my other extreme newbie buddy coming the other way. Get the picture?

Bar-end meets flying knee and pelvis gives way. The boy was in a body cast for two months and he limps to this day. I vividly remember trying to calm him down as he screamed bloody murder. They didn't have LifeForce helos or cell phones back then and his leg looked horrendous. It seriously sucked.

My wrecks? Only one of note. I was Teva shod and bathing suit fashioned and had five Bud's under my belt. I was trying to show my son how to get proper air and somehow, all went amiss. Three cracked ribs, a black and blue ankle and a damn near divorce ("demonstration" was in full view of wife, family and extended family- the original Bubba stunt and embarrasing would be the understatement of the decade) I concluded that I may have erred.

You okay Daddy? Daddy? Hey Daddy! You okay? ?????

"esss. I o ay. I awright. eeve me be. pleez." is all I could hiss through vice gritted teeth.

Morale(s)? Don't be a stoopid dumbass. Don't fiddle with anything on the fly, buy all of the safety stuff and DON'T do the Bud thing in the saddle. Don't do anything that makes you nervous until you just can't stand it anymore. If you can't stand it anymore, be ready and know how to fall.

In other words, THINK about it! That way, you'll always come back in less than two pieces and you'll have a hell of a good life in the mean time.

Yeee haaaaa!

one of your most important safety devices you can ever have, is a functional brain...common sense

Exactly. Honda's campaign "stupid hurts" is probably the best advise.

You WILL FALL! Don't make any mistake about it. The degree of damage you do (to yourself, the bike) depends on you. If you are planning on riding trails you will probably fall less, but you will crash every so often. In MX, if you aren't crashing, you aren't trying. It's good to push the envelope of your skill, but don't take that too far.

This sport is a blast. I have ridden street bikes and done other motorsports, but there is something about the dirt that I can't describe. Have fun and be safe. Good idea on the neck brace by the way. :cry:

in the year or so that i have been riding, nothing hurt at all on me, worst on the bike was a broken handguard from a tree :cry:

i would say if you want to be cautious, go with a beginner bike, maybe cr 500? if you want a more tame bike, i would go with a kx 500. i wouldnt go much bigger of a bike, cause they get to be pretty powerful :cry:

The best advice I can offer is to always ride within your ability. Most people that get hurt are riding over their heads and trying to keep up with a faster rider. I have ridden motorcycles for about 20 years and have raised two sons who also ride. While there have been some injuries from my kids most have been minor. My youngest is the racer of the group and he is the one that has been hurt a couple of times but he is the one that pushes the envelope. As long as you have the proper equipment and use your head you should be fine. But with any sport there is always a risk

1. speed

2. terrain

3. other riders

I think those are the three factors that determine how dangerous the sport is. The "other riders" scare me the most.

I fall off all the time but I'm usually not going very fast, and usually no one is tail gating me. I hate it when other riders pass me on narrow single track, but it happens, and scares the heck out of me.

My buddy broke a finger playing softball, another broke his hand hiking, and two others broke their arms while walking (both tripped) in a parking lot/hiking. When I was a kid I fell and had a concussion while hiking. :cry:

Life is too short to be "playing it safe" 100% of the time.